Nice Article On Free Agency

Mark VI

with the cap in good shape now there is no excuse for a GM not to make every effort they can to retain good, young players.......if they don't show an effort the player will hit free agency and not look back.......we have seen this with winfield and now jonas.......not a good trend with many more players seeing their contracts expire in future years compared to the first few years under TD's tenure.........

262222[/snapback]

Who says our cap is in good shape? We're 5 million under. we need at least 1.2 mill for rookies. That leaves us with 3.8 mill.

That ain't a whole lot when you have to fill 2 OL positions and need several other positions.

I think you think we're better off than we are.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

winfield.........it wouldn't have taken 36M to sign him the summer before his free agency.........TD made the choice to let him test the market and we lost him.........vincent did not seem "better" to me last year.......

262159[/snapback]

Vincent seemed "better" to me when he came back from his injury and played free safety. Our secondary seemed "better" too because we had two experienced guys in the middle of the field and Terrence McGee, by the end of the season, was a bona fide starting CB in this league. I would rather have Clements, McGee, Milloy and Vincent back there than Clements, Winfield, Milloy and Baker/Wire/Prioleau/Reese. So in that sense letting Winfield go and signing Vincent was a smart move AND saved us money.

Who says our cap is in good shape? We're 5 million under. we need at least 1.2 mill for rookies. That leaves us with 3.8 mill.

That ain't a whole lot when you have to fill 2 OL positions and need several other positions.

I think you think we're better off than we are.

262228[/snapback]

i think we have a RT eating up 10M in cap room.........who's fault is that?.......that number should be halved and give us double the cap room.......

i think we have a backup safety making 1.5M.........who's fault is that?.......another guy that should go........

i think we have another backup safety making 1.5M..........who drafted him?........get rid of him and more cap room is created........

there are plenty of options to create cap room, but the bottom line is there were teams that entered free agency with less cap room then us (i.e. the panthers) that have managed to add marquee talent to their roster and make strides.........our non-playoff team isn't even treading water, we've taken steps back.......

if you want to blame the lack of funds available on our lack of activity, your pointing the finger right at TD because it's his cap now..........

Vincent seemed "better" to me when he came back from his injury and played free safety.  Our secondary seemed "better" too because we had two experienced guys in the middle of the field and Terrence McGee, by the end of the season, was a bona fide starting CB in this league.  I would rather have Clements, McGee, Milloy and Vincent back there than Clements, Winfield, Milloy and Baker/Wire/Prioleau/Reese.  So in that sense letting Winfield go and signing Vincent was a smart move AND saved us money.

262231[/snapback]

many have said that mcgee would make a better FS then CB due to him getting caught in the pivot and "losing his man" in space.........

i would rather have clements, winfield, milloy, and mcgee.........

i think we have a RT eating up 10M in cap room.........who's fault is that?.......that number should be halved and give us double the cap room.......

i think we have a backup safety making 1.5M.........who's fault is that?.......another guy that should go........

i think we have another backup safety making 1.5M..........who drafted him?........get rid of him and more cap room is created........

there are plenty of options to create cap room, but the bottom line is there were teams that entered free agency with less cap room then us (i.e. the panthers) that have managed to add marquee talent to their roster and make strides.........our non-playoff team isn't even treading water, we've taken steps back.......

if you want to blame the lack of funds available on our lack of activity, your pointing the finger right at TD because it's his cap now..........

262234[/snapback]

Yes, and if you cut these guys you have to find their replacements, too...and you think THAT will be free?

I'm with Kelso's Helmet. I think MW will end up in the LT spot. then his contractr doesn't seem so bad, now does it?

You need to calm down and take deep breaths. Take a zoloft. Take up zen. Do something, because that poor horse you're beating is not only dead, it's hindquarters are shredded beyond recognition.

I would rather have Clements, McGee, Milloy and Vincent back there than Clements, Winfield, Milloy and Baker/Wire/Prioleau/Reese.  So in that sense letting Winfield go and signing Vincent was a smart move AND saved us money.

262231[/snapback]

I agree, and so did Jerry Gray.

4 starting playmakers in the secondary is much better than 2.

Yes, and if you cut these guys you have to find their replacements, too...and you think THAT will be free?

I'm with Kelso's Helmet. I think MW will end up in the LT spot. then his contractr doesn't seem so bad, now does it?

You need to calm down and take deep breaths. Take a zoloft. Take up zen. Do something, because that poor horse you're beating is not only dead, it's hindquarters are shredded beyond recognition.

262238[/snapback]

backups safeties can be had for 750K max........likely less.......

MW could be shifted to LT, and i think that is purely a salary cap related move, not because that is his best position.........

i am extremely calm.........all i'm doing is answering posts directed at me.....i am not "beating my horse" any worse then you guys are beating the "it's not TD's fault" horse.........i'm allowed to have a differing opinion you know, and if your tired of hearing about it simply stop directing posts at me.........very simple.......if you keep asking me questions of course i'm going to address them.........

backups safeties can be had for 750K max........likely less.......

MW could be shifted to LT, and i think that is purely a salary cap related move, not because that is his best position.........

i am extremely calm.........all i'm doing is answering posts directed at me.....i am not "beating my horse" any worse then you guys are beating the "it's not TD's fault" horse.........i'm allowed to have a differing opinion you know, and if your tired of hearing about it simply stop directing posts at me.........very simple.......if you keep asking me questions of course i'm going to address them.........

262246[/snapback]

Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds your "TD is a cheapskate" repetition a tad bit tiresome. I'm just trying to help you through this difficult time in your life. As one Bills fan to another.

Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds your "TD is a cheapskate" repetition a tad bit tiresome. I'm just trying to help you through this difficult time in your life. As one Bills fan to another.

262251[/snapback]

well, like i said, stop directing posts to me and i won't have to address them.........i also find the "it's not TD's fault" posts quite tiresome as well, seeing he's been on the job for 4 years now and hasn't given us one playoff game........

well, like i said, stop directing posts to me and i won't have to address them.........i also find the "it's not TD's fault" posts quite tiresome as well, seeing he's been on the job for 4 years now and hasn't given us one playoff game........

262256[/snapback]

In all fairness to TD, look at the shite he inerited.

Think about the golden days of yore:

-The days of John Fina OLE blocking Jason Taylor.

-The Grand Old Days of his immortal Flutescence.

-The joyful times of the punt catcher.

-Those halcyon gmaes where we had the opportunity to watch our all world backfield of Bryson and Smith tear up the league.

-The wonderful times we as Bills fans had watching wade without his headset on the sidelines.

Now tell me we're not better off. If you can do that with a straight face, then you're crazier than I thought.

In all fairness to TD, look at the shite he inerited.

Think about the golden days of yore:

-The days of John Fina OLE blocking Jason Taylor.

-The Grand Old Days of his immortal Flutescence.

-The joyful times of the punt catcher.

-Those halcyon gmaes where we had the opportunity to watch our all world  backfield of Bryson and Smith tear up the league.

-The wonderful times we as Bills fans had watching wade without his headset on the sidelines.

Now tell me we're not better off. If you can do that with a straight face, then you're crazier than I thought.

262261[/snapback]

at least we made the playoffs under wade.........that is my concern, and TD's record speaks for itself........sorry, 4 years is more then enough time to get ANY team into the playoffs.........

He was the #4 Pick in the draft and that was the " market value " of signing him at that time.

262266[/snapback]

it was TD's choice to invest a #4 overall pick in a RT and give him the contract that entails......he could have traded back, he could have took someone else, but the point is if you're whining about MW's cap number not equating to his talent level and contribution you are slagging TD for making that pick.........he takes full ownership over that move.........

So you're saying he doesn't have a good record on these things because there is not enough data on it. To me, that doesn't seem like it warrants a bad grade. I loved AW, he was my favorite player. But he wasn't going to sign with the Bills for less than he could make. Look what he did to the Jets? You cannot sign a lot of these guys just because you go to them early. AW always made it clear he was going to test FA and everyone knew he was going to command top dollar. TD did the right thing. He let him go, he signed a proven vet for much less, and the team actually did better after it turned out, partly because the guy he signed in place of AW was always looked at as a FS when no longer able or needed to play CB. Now we have a top notch FS. You are surely entitled to this opinion, I just think the Winfield case shows TD is a very good light and not a bad one.

The first thing he did was have to choose which of his top name own FA was worth 40 mil. He chose Moulds and signed him. A lot of people cried over Wiley, who SD signed for enormous numbers. Look what happened.

262189[/snapback]

Not to mention the NUMEROUS times that AW stated how bored he was in Buffalo...

at least we made the playoffs under wade.........that is my concern, and TD's record speaks for itself........sorry, 4 years is more then enough time to get ANY team into the playoffs.........

262273[/snapback]

And were promptly and unceremoniously thrown OUT of the playoffs each time.

Look, the goal is NOT to make the playoffs. The goal is to WIN the SB!

How's New England doing it? By spending out the wazoo? NO!

it was TD's choice to invest a #4 overall pick in a RT and give him the contract that entails......he could have traded back, he could have took someone else, but the point is if you're whining about MW's cap number not equating to his talent level and contribution you are slagging TD for making that pick.........he takes full ownership over that move.........

262275[/snapback]

Once again, revisionist history. There is evidence that he tried to trade down and couldn't find a participant.

262273[/snapback]

And the expense of making the playoffs was overpaying replaceable players and being forced to tear the team apart not long after. But pretend it was somehow different or that teams like the Titans, Cowboys, Niners, Chargers, Fish, etc haven't suffered the same fate. :devil:

What makes ANY GM great is the ability to find superior talent at budget prices.  TD has not shown the ability to do this. 

262182[/snapback]

FA is a suckers bet. The draft is how teams are built and this is where TD and TM find "superior talent at budget prices."

And were promptly and unceremoniously thrown OUT of the playoffs each time.

Look, the goal is NOT to make the playoffs. The goal is to WIN the SB!

How's New England doing it? By spending out the wazoo? NO!

262282[/snapback]

is that why NE offered derrick mason more then BAL did?