Anyone think this isnt the new bubonic plaque?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... about that clue thingy...

Percentage of those 15 to 49 years of age living with HIV/AIDS in 2003 (using 2003 population numbers)

World Region........Prevalance Rate

North America....................0.6

N Africa/Middle East............0.3

Western Europe..................0.3

East Asia/Pacific.................0.1

Latin America.....................0.6

Australia/New Zealand........0.1

E. Europe/Central Asia........0.5

Sub-Saharan Africa.............7.7

I think it's important to note that the Sub-Saharan region is the only one in the world where homosexual activity and injected drug use aren't identified as primary transmission modes - it's heterosexual activity.

263248[/snapback]

Do you have the stats from 10 years ago? That would be an interesting comparison.

Africa is so isolated from the rest of the world that I don't believe their problem will translate into a global epidemic. There is minimal travel in and out of that part of the world compared to almost anywhere else. The spread of AIDS in Africa is due to the nearly complete lack of modern social structure. So while 'heterosexual' contact (raping school girls) is the cause the problem in Africa, that doesn't mean it's the cause of the problem in the rest of the world. Of course anyone can catch it at anytime, but in the US it has always been a disease that overwhelmingly affects gays, injected drug users and the inner city poor.

We'll have much bigger problems with epidemics like the bird flu from China.

Do you have the stats from 10 years ago?  That would be an interesting comparison.

264341[/snapback]

I'm afraid I don't. Those numbers were in a textbook for a sociology class I'm taking. The chapter is more about comparing and contrasting cultural differences in various regions of the world. Health-related issues and the prevalance of AIDS are covered (as are life expectancy, sanitation, diet, access to health care, etc), they really don't go into historical detail regarding the numbers.

And who cares about the babies being born into AIDS in Africa. It's their parent's fault, like you said above.

Besides, it's only 2,000,000 or so kids you can easily write off. About 2,000/day in 2003. Eff them, right? Not your family, so who cares?

264227[/snapback]

You're right, it *IS* their parents' faults.

Not mine, nor is it MY resonsibility. Life's a B word.

Oh, and BTW, what's to say these kids wouldn't have died from starvation anyway? You're talking about a part of the world that has ZERO when it comes to modern societal norms.

Come on, they're African kids. Who cares about them, they're not American.

Now the Americans, all of them with AIDS are just perverts of one kind or another, so eff them, too.

264258[/snapback]

You're RIGHT for a change! Why the hell should I care if a hooker, a gay or an IV drug user gets AIDS?

The point you and Johnny Adams are missing is that AIDS is predominantly a LIFESTYLE disease. Change your lifestyle, you don't get it. Not like the plague, where if a rat saunters by you and its fleas jump on to you and bite you get it.

Anyone who believes in God and thinks that sex or nudity is wrong is stupid and will answer for it later.

262045[/snapback]

:huh:

So, can I interpret this as meaning you've already discovered that God doesn't exist? Why, then, have you been keeping your discovery such a secret all this time?! Show us your proof and/or derivations so us commoners can quickly throw away these ridiculous cross necklaces!

You're RIGHT for a change! Why the hell should I care if a hooker, a gay or an IV drug user gets AIDS?

The point you and Johnny Adams are missing is that AIDS is predominantly a LIFESTYLE disease. Change your lifestyle, you don't get it. Not like the plague, where if a rat saunters by you and its fleas jump on to you and bite you get it.

265245[/snapback]

No doubt you are a grade A ****, and your cold-hearted lack of empathy for other humans is probably a reflection of the many nights you spend alone.

However, you've been 100% accurate on this topic with respect to comparing AIDS to the bubonic plague. The bubonic plague was a highly communicable disease, while AIDS is indeed a "lifestyle" disease...at least for 99.999% of those that end up getting caught with it. For the vast majority of those 99.999%, pride and laziness are the reasons for not putting a plast wrap over their dongs.

There is a significant percentage of African victims, however, that do not have protected sex because A. they are still ignorant in their understanding of STD prevention, and/or B. they don't have access to condoms.

And those are the people we Americans have a moral obligation to help/educate.

No doubt you are a grade A ****, and your cold-hearted lack of empathy for other humans is probably a reflection of the many nights you spend alone.

However, you've been 100% accurate on this topic with respect to comparing AIDS to the bubonic plague. The bubonic plague was a highly communicable disease, while AIDS is indeed a "lifestyle" disease...at least for 99.999% of those that end up getting caught with it. For the vast majority of those 99.999%, pride and laziness are the reasons for not putting a plast wrap over their dongs.

There is a significant percentage of African victims, however, that do not have protected sex because A. they are still ignorant in their understanding of STD prevention, and/or B. they don't have access to condoms.

And those are the people we Americans have a moral obligation to help/educate.

266247[/snapback]

As to your first point, I'm a non-empathetic **** because I know if it came down to it, my "fellow man" wouldn't help me in my time of need. It's human nature, pal, whether you like it or not. And no, I'm not alone, trust me...I have a wonderful wife and a beautiful child.

Exactly. Pride, laziness, stupidity and peversion are the root causes of AIDS. Cancer, OTOH, can strike someone who's lived "clean" their whole lives. It's my opinion we should be helping CANCER VICTIMS well before we dole out any money to AIDS people.

Ignorance is no excuse. How many missionaries and foreign aid workers have been traipsing around Africa for the last 30-50 years? How many millions of pamphlets and education sessions have our hard earned tax dollars paid for, and yet the behavior doesn't change? More money is not the answer. Allowing the evolutionary process to handle the ignorant and stupid among the human race is.

Moral obligation? Right. Like if we needed help, those people would jump to our aid?

I laugh at such a naiive position.