Watching for Field Position in the third preseason game

Arguably, starting field position is the one area where schemes & coaching matter the most. Yes you need accurate kickers and punters, but other than that you have a bunch of "no-name" guys following a coach's blueprint to cover lanes etc. to maximize field position. The hated Pats have always outperformed the Bills the past 15 years. While we have heard a lot about Dennison's schemes and Frazier's schemes, we do not hear much about Crossman's. I felt both Marrone and especially, Rex did not give it due importance in years past.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef2016

I am looking at LOS / KO [Line of Scrimmage per kickoff]. Other line of scrimmage stats are compromised by turnovers / punting etc. BUF ranked 21st in Offensive line of scrimmage following a kickoff and dead last (32nd) in defensive line of scrimmage following a kickoff.

Re-watching the two preseason games, it looks like Sean has not really fixed the problem (Crossman is a holdover Special Teams Coordinator from the old regime).

Just for comparison, the Pats were first in Offensive LOS / KO and third in Defensive LOS / KO.

Arguably, starting field position is the one area where schemes & coaching matter the most. Yes you need accurate kickers and punters, but other than that you have a bunch of "no-name" guys following a coach's blueprint to cover lanes etc. to maximize field position. The hated Pats have always outperformed the Bills the past 15 years. While we have heard a lot about Dennison's schemes and Frazier's schemes, we do not hear much about Crossman's. I felt both Marrone and especially, Rex did not give it due importance in years past.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef2016

I am looking at LOS / KO [Line of Scrimmage per kickoff]. Other line of scrimmage stats are compromised by turnovers / punting etc. BUF ranked 21st in Offensive line of scrimmage following a kickoff and dead last (32nd) in defensive line of scrimmage following a kickoff.

Re-watching the two preseason games, it looks like Sean has not really fixed the problem (Crossman is a holdover Special Teams Coordinator from the old regime).

Just for comparison, the Pats were first in Offensive LOS / KO and third in Defensive LOS / KO.

Billy B. knows where the football games are won. Have you ever heard him gush about the Rams punter? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000748950/article/bill-belichick-love-for-rams-punter-knows-no-bounds

Is it really meaningful to have this kind of analysis during the preseason?

The data in the link is from last year regular season - so I think it is relevant - esp. since the ST coordinator is the same. In this preseason, I felt that the Bills have had consistently worse starting field position than their opponents even when the starters were in. I agree though that just a few series in the pre-season is not enough to make judgments. That is why the thread title is what it is :D