Combating Tanking - How Draft Order Should be Determined

Mark80

I will get crushed for this, but with a hard cap and no max contracts, why even have a draft?

You want Darnold next year..give him $200M over 6 years..people will follow the money.

Edited by plenzmd1

No. Just no.

The controls you are suggesting are in place in the NBA, and what that did for the Sixers was encourage them to tank three years in a row and pull their best players at the first sign of injury year four.

They were "punished" by being pressured to fire the GM who set it up. Now they are being rewarded with a roster full of very talented young picks and bountiful cap space.

In the NFL, the point of tanking is to get a QB. Winston, Mariota, Goff and Wentz were 1 and 2 overall picks and none of them have made the playoffs. Goff looks like a total bust. You take your chances.

What are you talking about? The NBA does a lottery system, not even close to what I am suggesting. And the Sixers have been in tank mode for over 5 years. How is that good for competitive spirit? How is that good for their sponsers and tv deals? Most importantly, how is that possibly good for their fan base....because maybe, MAYBE after 8 years they can have a playoff team (and I'll believe that when I see it)?

I will get crushed for this, but with a hard cap and no max contracts, why even have a draft?

You want the Darnold next year..give him $200M over 8 years..people will follow the money.

Yeah. To me, this another way to do it as well.

Sports should always be about trying to win, every game, every time IMO. Encouraging losing by rewarding tanking, is just wrong IMO.

This is a pretty ridiculous statement. In MLB in the last 10 years only one team has won the Championship more than once. This year looks to continue that trend as the Dodgers and Astros seem poised to win. Dodgers haven't won since Kirk Gibson and the Astros have never won. Teams like the Twins, Brewers, Rockies, are all making playoff pushes for the first time in years and seemingly out of nowhere. In the last 10 years the Phillies, Royals, and Cubs have all won their first championships in over 30 years.

However, the NFL has the same teams winning over and over and over again. Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Broncos. I would argue that after baseketball, the NFL is the worst at having different teams win.

The present draft order is still the most fair imo. A team gets desperate to find a franchise QB will tank or trade up.

I prefer to trade up rather then tank and have a long rebuild. We will see how the Browns and Jets are after there rebuild.

i think the league still needs to help bad teams become good. weighted lotto is the way to go imo. sort of prevents tanking, but helps bad teams become good (good for competitive balance).

I'd be good with a weighted lotto, but the downside is that so many fans will distrust it. Every time a big market or other favored team beats the odds for a top pick fans will lose their s$&t. Still, if fairly executed, it'd be the best way to go.