Destination KC, mo. suggestions from locals?

Hey!

I rarely post here, usually just lurking looking for informed football opinions. There are way more knowledgable folks here than at the Buffalo snooze (some anyway). Many thanks to guys like KJ, Yolo and Gunner Bill, etc.

My wife recently won a trip to KCmo through work and the only thing I know about KC is that it is known for BBQ and Blues. We will be traveling from Hopkinsville, KY on August 21st (for the eclipse) and be in KC for a few days.

I'm looking for suggestions regarding both, If it's possible to hit one outstanding venue that will fill both bills even better.

R.

Gates BBQ has always been my favorite - but you also can't go wrong with Arthur Bryants, Smokehouse, Jack Stack, etc etc. Ask locals if you can, lots of hole-in-the-wall places you won't find otherwise (similar to pizza and wings in WNY).
"The Plaza" is kind of a ritzy part of town but worth a visit. I enjoyed both the Jazz Museum and the Negro Baseball League Hall of Fame which are adjacent to each other in the historic 18th and Vine district.
I haven't been to Union Station since they remodeled and built a science museum there, but it looks like there is some fun stuff to do there now. Have a good time, hope it isn't too hot when you're there.

For BBQ, Joes is the most popular; get the pulled pork, great fries. Gates has the best ribs, not that meaty but great flavor. Shop on the Plaza which has a great atmosphere. Drive by the sports complex. It's impressive but go ahead and spit on the Arrowhead parking lot!