Father's Day stories

My Dad used to bug me to go to games when I was about 8.

He was a nasty drunk and I was afraid of him but there was something I sensed as a kid; that it was important to him.

After a few years of him asking me I said yes..... First game he took me to was Miami, the first time we beat them in a decade. I was ten.

Needless to say I was hooked, he took the time to explain it to me, didn't yell at me, bought me hot chocolate.... he was a Dad. The Bills were the only thing we ever shared. The only time he was nice to me.

I went to every game during the Chuck Knox era except Pittsburgh ( held Bradshaw to 9 yards passing or something) because I was sick.

He died when I was 14 having his second liver operation. No boo hooing. One thing I learned as a boy was how to be a parent by doing the exact opposite of what my parents did.

My boy John LOVES football. He's the one I go to if I have NFL questions. We share other things though, guitar and fishing to name two.

Someday the Bills will win a Super Bowl and we will celebrate it as a family. I will hug him and tell him I love him.

Having a kid is such a privilege.

My Dad used to bug me to go to games when I was about 8.

He was a nasty drunk and I was afraid of him but there was something I sensed as a kid; that it was important to him.

After a few years of him asking me I said yes..... First game he took me to was Miami, the first time we beat them in a decade. I was ten.

Needless to say I was hooked, he took the time to explain it to me, didn't yell at me, bought me hot chocolate.... he was a Dad. The Bills were the only thing we ever shared. The only time he was nice to me.

I went to every game during the Chuck Knox era except Pittsburgh ( held Bradshaw to 9 yards passing or something) because I was sick.

He died when I was 14 having his second liver operation. No boo hooing. One thing I learned as a boy was how to be a parent by doing the exact opposite of what my parents did.

My boy John LOVES football. He's the one I go to if I have NFL questions. We share other things though, guitar and fishing to name two.

Someday the Bills will win a Super Bowl and we will celebrate it as a family. I will hug him and tell him I love him.

Having a kid is such a privilege.

Just wanted to say thanks for the story. Glad to see you turned a difficult situation into a huge benefit for your son.

For as long as I remember my brother (Fla) and I (NC) have flown up to Buffalo in October to take my Dad to a game - for the last 10 years or so we started taking our sons too. My Dad always says it's one of the things he looks forward to the most every year. Last year my nephew said "I just want the Bills to get back in the playoffs and maybe win it all while Grandpa's still here". I resisted the urge to say I'll settle for while we're still here...

I hope so too, young fella..(your son). Then again, read my sig line..