Pegula's Learning Curve

We all know that the Pegulas did not have experience in running a pro sports franchise.

I believe they came into ownership with a mindset of "hire good people and give them the resources to succeed" after seeing that philosophy work in other areas of business.

After six years overseeing the Sabres and 2 1/2 with the Bills they are realizing what they didn't know - namely, that the above philosophy is fine, but not in itself, enough to build a winner.

Without trying to, I believe McDermott has put both organizations on blast with his work ethic, professionalism, and attention to detail.

The early termination of Rex, the new "one voice" approach with the media, Pegula's commendation of McDermott as a "man of faith," and Pegula's criticism of the sloppiness of the Bylsma/Murray regime, all seem to indicate that they are recognizing in McDermott the type of person they want to work with.

We'll see if it results in wins (for either team), but I believe we are seeing our ownership gain clarity in what they are looking for. It's not easy to run a pro sports team and I'm choosing to be hopeful about this.

Edited by Flip Johnson

I think I agree with you. I'm sure in the oil and gas business, Pegula was able to be very discerning about who he wanted to work with, and knew what he was looking for, but in the sports world you're dealing with egos, wannabes, posers, glory hounds, those living off of past reputation etc. And Pegula is having to learn the hard way. I think he'll get there and maybe even be better im the long run for having a rough start.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

SABRES:

a lot has been made of Pegula firing guys left and right - lets look closer

taking ownership Feb 18th of 2011 Lindy Ruff already in place and a month to go so we will start with 2012:

Lindy goes 6-11-1 and Regier fires Ruff

Lindy had a great run but hit a wall and it was time for a change

Darcy hires Ron Rolston and this is the beginning to his end he goes 19-26-6 and the decision to (tank) is made

Darcy and Rolston out- PEGULA FIRST FIRING

Murray Hired

Nolan brought in for 2+years of rebuild EVERYONE knowing he's been hired to be fired

Nolan does his thing and now it's time to build them back up Tim Murray fires Nolan

Dan Byslma comes in two years starting from the worst team in the league compiles a 68-73-23 record - players dont like him, his system and we stall out while Leafs and Oilers zoom past. Murray and Bylsma out- PEGULA SECOND MOVE 4+ years later

Like the fans Pegula is out of patience 6 years later it's time to win, he did the rebuild thing it's go time and we went in reverse is this nutty owner behavior?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BILLS:

Pegula takes ownership October 14th 2014 Doug Marrone already in place

2014 Bills goes 9-7 at seasons end Doug Marrone decides to take an option to cash out at 4 million dollars and leave

Pegula hires Rex Ryan - PEGULA FIRST MOVE

Rex has seasons of 8-8 and 7-8 with Rex ruining the defense not putting the work in and his brother getting run of the show he's fired. PEGULA SECOND MOVE

Pegula hires Sean McDermott- PEGULA THIRD MOVE

so Doug Marrone a coach he didnt hire made a money grab out of his control

he hired Rex a move that was applauded by most, Rex didnt want to put the work in so he removed him

hired Sean McDermott

I don't see these moves as crazy, meddling or in over his head

The problem with the McDermott hiring is the coach was hired by the owners and not the GM. If Whaley isn't trusted to bring in the coach, why is he trusted to bring in candidates or set up the draft board?

Same lack of proper organizational structure. This is not how winning teams operate.

One common denominator with the Bills missing the playoffs, has been Russ Brandon. I'm not sure of his exact roll, but I feel he has too much power. The Bills need a hockey guy and a football guy to be president of each team. Pegulas don't appear to know what theyre doing, but I am thankful they kept both teams in buffalo. I'd rather B word about how bad each team is than watch them be in the playoffs in vegas.

The problem with the McDermott hiring is the coach was hired by the owners and not the GM. If Whaley isn't trusted to bring in the coach, why is he trusted to bring in candidates or set up the draft board?

Same lack of proper organizational structure. This is not how winning teams operate.

every coach in american sports is hired by the owner

One common denominator with the Bills missing the playoffs, has been Russ Brandon. I'm not sure of his exact roll, but I feel he has too much power. The Bills need a hockey guy and a football guy to be president of each team. Pegulas don't appear to know what theyre doing, but I am thankful they kept both teams in buffalo. I'd rather B word about how bad each team is than watch them be in the playoffs in vegas.

there is a guy who sell cotton candy at Bills and Sabres games...not sure what decisions he is making but....gotta go