Time to move MW to LT?

Think about it:

1. JJ appears to be a goner.

2. LJ Shelton doesn't appear to be coming to Buffalo.

3. Teague and Price are not viable long-term solutions at LT

4. There are no cheaper LT alternatives to JJ in free agency

5. The current free agent market has plenty of good RT's that will be cheaper than JJ

So why not make the switch, eh?

Here's a potential lineup after making such a switch (note the strong run-blocking skills of all 5 starters...):

LT: Mike Williams

LG: Vincent from Steelers

C: Tucker

RG: Villarial

RT: Kareem McKenzie from Jets

backups:

Teague

Price

Sobieski

McFarland

Your thoughts?

Think about it:

1. JJ appears to be a goner.

2. LJ Shelton doesn't appear to be coming to Buffalo.

3. Teague and Price are not viable long-term solutions at LT

4. There are no cheaper LT alternatives to JJ in free agency

5. The current free agent market has plenty of good RT's that will be cheaper than JJ

So why not make the switch, eh?

Here's a potential lineup after making such a switch (note the strong run-blocking skills of all 5 starters...):

LT: Mike Williams

LG: Vincent from Steelers

C: Tucker

RG: Villarial

RT: Kareem McKenzie from Jets

backups:

Teague

Price

Sobieski

McFarland

Your thoughts?

258105[/snapback]

I posted the same thing, last off-season. I got the reaming of a lifetime on the board. Sorry, I just think it is nuts that a guy who played LT in college (albeit for a left handed QB most of the time in Simms), was one of the top 3 tackles in the draft, the 14th pick in the draft, and what do the Bills do? They move him to RT!!! I think this is part of the reason he struggled a bit early on. He may not have the best feet for the LT spot, but the guy is huge, with very long arms. He should be playing LT, I absolutely agree. It would be much cheaper to replace a RT, than a LT. Why pay huge bucks for a new LT, when you have one playing RT, making an obscene amount of money!

Great post! Yours is good too, Kelso!

:D

I don't think this Mike's natural position but it wouldn't hurt to try if can't land a free agent or for some odd reason can't draft a LT in April.

Mike is just now coming into his own and I don't think it's a good idea to move him unless the team is desperate.

McNally is not God after all and can only perform small miracles.

I posted the same thing, last off-season.  I got the reaming of a lifetime on the board.  Sorry, I just think it is nuts that a guy who played LT in college (albeit for a left handed QB most of the time in Simms), was one of the top 3 tackles in the draft, the 14th pick in the draft, and what do the Bills do?  They move him to RT!!!  I think this is part of the reason he struggled a bit early on.  He may not have the best feet for the LT spot, but the guy is huge, with very long arms.  He should be playing LT, I absolutely agree.  It would be much cheaper to replace a RT, than a LT.  Why pay huge bucks for a new LT, when you have one playing RT, making an obscene amount of money!

Great post!  Yours is good too, Kelso!

:D

258109[/snapback]

I hear ya, but a few corrections, he played RT in college, and was dominant there, that is why no shift was made. Also i think you meant 4th pick in the draft.

Also not sure if this has been posted, but a good article on how difficult it is to mix up an o-line.

http://2005.otcdraft.com/content/article/E...Mike%20Williams

I hear ya, but a few corrections, he played RT in college, and was dominant there, that is why no shift was made.  Also i think you meant 4th pick in the draft. 

Also not sure if this has been posted, but a good article on how difficult it is to mix up an o-line.

http://2005.otcdraft.com/content/article/E...Mike%20Williams

258114[/snapback]

I stand corrected!

If the coaches like the move I am OK with it, but I dont see MW being agile enough for the LT spot.

Truthfully, I was hoping he would improve at RT.

258156[/snapback]

How are you feeling today, Bill? :D

I also wouldn't mind seeing MW get some work at LT. While there are several adjustments that need to be made, including in the stance, I believe he is more than capable of filling this role.

Also, there are several options for us, albeit they are all not as good as having JJ in the fold:

1. Sign Mike Wahle to play LT if he projects better than JJ. While the cost might be the same, he may be an upgrade if you believe some of the reports.

2. Draft a LT and sign Brad Hopkins for a year.

3. Draft a LT and sign Bob Whitfiled for a yer.

4. Move MW to LT and sign one of the many RTs on the market right now.

5. Move Trey Teague back to the LT and draft a center.

I guess my point is that we have 4/5 of a nice line coming back this year and have the best OL coach in the game. We should be able to rebound from this loss. In TD I trust..

I also wouldn't mind seeing MW get some work at LT.  While there are several adjustments that need to be made, including in the stance, I believe he is more than capable of filling this role.

Also, there are several options for us, albeit they are all not as good as having JJ in the fold:

1.  Sign Mike Wahle to play LT if he projects better than JJ.  While the cost might be the same, he may be an upgrade if you believe some of the reports.

2.  Draft a LT and sign Brad Hopkins for a year.

3.  Draft a LT and sign Bob Whitfiled for a yer.

4.  Move MW to LT and sign one of the many RTs on the market right now.

5.  Move Trey Teague back to the LT and draft a center.

I guess my point is that we have 4/5 of a nice line coming back this year and have the best OL coach in the game.  We should be able to rebound from this loss.  In TD I trust..

258185[/snapback]

4/5?

We are really only know that Villerial and Williams are back. There are rumors that Teague maybe cut. Jennings is gone and the LG blows. So even with Teague that is 3/5.

4/5? 

We are really only know that Villerial and Williams are back.  There are rumors that Teague maybe cut.  Jennings is gone and the LG blows.  So even with Teague that is 3/5.

258192[/snapback]

This is the most frightening situation on the Bills. we have a fragile rookie at QB and only 3/5ths of a lline for certain? Not good. My thinking is there are going to be a lot of warm bodies paraded in and out of that OL.

I don't think this Mike's natural position but it wouldn't hurt to try if can't land a free agent or for some odd reason can't draft a LT in April. 

Mike is just now coming into his own and I don't think it's a good idea to move him unless the team is desperate. 

McNally is not God after all and can only perform small miracles.

258110[/snapback]

Mike's natural position - based on college experience - is RT, but he was drafted in 2002 with the determination that he had the proper agility to play LT. Did this determination change over a 3-year period? I don't know, but as soon as a few days from now, we may have no choice but to make the switch.

4/5? 

We are really only know that Villerial and Williams are back.  There are rumors that Teague maybe cut.  Jennings is gone and the LG blows.  So even with Teague that is 3/5.

258192[/snapback]

Again, we must evaluate what is out there. Right now its a big fat pile of jack squat. Ryan Diem is the next closest T and he is by no means a sure fire LT, and certainly questionable as an upgrade to Jennings. As I said before, I hope to hell TD trades for or trades up to get a potential or current stud LT, This isnt a spot where we can take chances. Option #3 to me is moving Mike over. I do think he has the feet for the position. Remember his biggest asset was his ability to move for his size. I think he could handle it well.

Mike at LT + McKenzie or Womack at RT = upgraded T's

Diem + Mike at RT = downgrade at T's

Thats how I see it.

Again, we must evaluate what is out there. Right now its a big fat pile of jack squat. Ryan Diem is the next closest T and he is by no means a sure fire LT, and certainly questionable as an upgrade to Jennings. As I said before, I hope to hell TD trades for or trades up to get a potential or current stud LT, This isnt a spot where we can take chances. Option #3 to me is moving Mike over. I do think he has the feet for the position. Remember his biggest asset was his ability to move for his size. I think he could handle it well.

Mike at LT + McKenzie or Womack at RT = upgraded T's

Diem + Mike at RT = downgrade at T's

Thats how I see it.

258196[/snapback]

Ryan Diem's under contract, there, hero.

This is the most frightening situation on the Bills. we have a fragile rookie at QB and only 3/5ths of a lline for certain? Not good. My thinking is there are going to be a lot of warm bodies paraded in and out of that OL.

258193[/snapback]

Hopefully the 'fragile' label will be refuted sooner rather than later......not saying you're wrong

I think jpera posted this about 2 weeks ago, and i agreed with him that MW should be given a shot at LT. I'm not saying that they should switch him and make it permanent, but he should definitely get a feeler for the position during the mini camps and possibly a few early training camp workouts at LT. The problem is that LG sucks, so the bills will have to get a LG to compensate for a learning curve if they do go with MW at LT.

I do think that MW is a great fit for RT now though. I would not have said that last off season, but the dude made some huge strides this past season. After he cleared the cobwebs from last offseason and showed some toughness and resolve with that ambulance incident in november, i think he's due for a breakout season at RT. However, if he shows at least the skills as JJ and there's a RT and LG to be had, i think that the switch should be made.

258193[/snapback]

I with you on this being our most important move this year. I do not agree that Losman is fragile. He is not RJ, he is a tough somm beetch who plays hurt and takes the hits. He is Flutie as far as injuries go. He will handle all the hits just fine. Now if your using fragile to describe the best environment to best speed along his learning I agree. If he has the time to throw and isnt feeling rushed he will learn much more quickly. young QB + pressure + mistakes.

Hopefully the 'fragile' label will be refuted sooner rather than later......not saying you're wrong

258199[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but until the tiem JP shows he can make it out of PRACTICE without an injury, I refuse to believe he'll survive in the NFL. and to think we could have had a shot at Roethlisberger.

young QB + pressure + mistakes.

258203[/snapback]

Equals? Their best Drew Bledsoe impersonation? :D

I'm sorry, but until the tiem JP shows he can make it out of PRACTICE without an injury, I refuse to believe he'll survive in the NFL. and to think we could have had a shot at Roethlisberger.

258204[/snapback]

Okay, I'll remember this post in January of next year........We'll see if your view has changed :D