Malcolm Butler wants out of New England

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Saints just outright signed Butler, I'm sure they'd have to give up their 11th overall/original pick. Nowhere have I disputed this. That they're not doing that tells me they don't want to part with it and they know they don't have to.

You see, the Cheaters have franchised guys in the past (S TeBucky Jones to those same Saints and QB Matt Cassell to the Chefs) and traded them for less than 1st rounders. This situation is no different from those. Like in those situations, the Cheaters can choose to trade Butler for whatever they want. If no other team comes calling, they will either have to accept what the Saints are offering (which I have no doubt does not include the 11th overall pick) or keep a disgruntled player on the roster for the year (and then either watch him leave in FA next year, getting a 3rd round comp pick in return the following year, at best, or re-sign him for $13M+/year).

I agree with the first sentence. Plus Those two guys(jones and cassell) signed the franchise tender and then Pats traded them. Totally different from a team sending an offer sheet to original team.

It's pretty simple.

Saints want Butler but do not want to sign him to an offer sheet and give up 11 ovr(which would be an overpayment).

They want to trade for him after he signs the RFA tendered contract so that they can then negotiate with him without giving up the 11th ovr.

This works out for both the Saints and the player as NO gives up less compensation than 11th ovr and Butler can use his upcoming UFA status as leverage in his new contract.

I'm sure the negotiations between NE and NO are going something like this:

Saints: How much for Butler?

Patriots: Just sign him to an offer sheet, we won't match.

Saints: No Thanks.

Patriots: ok, let's work out a trade. We'll allow you to work on a contract with him.

It's all pretty fair.

Yes this make perfect sense as stated. Thank you.

Edited by cba fan

I agree with the first sentence. Plus Those two guys(jones and cassell) signed the franchise tender and then Pats traded them. Totally different from a team sending an offer sheet to original team.

Yeah, no it's not totally different. The Saints aren't sending an offer sheet to the Cheaters because they won't give up their 11th overall pick. And if/when trade parameters are agreed-upon, Butler will sign his tender.