Bucs prefer opposite approach to Bills at QB

RJsackedagain

I started a thread about this 3 weeks ago...Gruden makes a valid point

255498[/snapback]

Congratulations. You should be recognized in some formal fashion, a parade perhaps?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Brady analogy has no context to Dallas, who have needed a QB for years, and has bben in position to draft one in the 1st round and instead put all their eggs in Carter/Hutchinson & then Carter/Henson baskets.  NE didn't think they needed one when they drafted Brady-They had just given Drew a new contract which at the time they believed committed the QB job to Drew for the forseeable future.

256331[/snapback]

Uh Dude, just because you take a QB in the first round that doesn't necessarily solve all your problems. I'm not going to waste time here listing all the bad QBs taken in the first round (Klinger, Leaf, McNown, Akil Smith, etc.), but there sure seem to be just as many hits as misses over the past half dozen years. ..... And how would you know what the Cowboys and Patriots were thinking during their drafts ----- you are assuming things without any facts.

First of all, the Bucs thought so much of Simms that they gave Brian Griese a large contract to stay their starter. Second of all, the latest word I'm hearing is that they want Jeff Garcia to be Griese's backup. That means Simms is #3. Simms is a non-factor and Gruden's words belie the fact that they don't think much of him.

Uh Dude, just because you take a QB in the first round that doesn't necessarily solve all your problems. I'm not going to waste time here listing all the bad QBs taken in the first round (Klinger, Leaf, McNown, Akil Smith, etc.), but there sure seem to be just as many hits as misses over the past half dozen years. ..... And how would you know what the Cowboys and Patriots were thinking during their drafts ----- you are assuming things without any facts.

256348[/snapback]

I have no clue what Dallas is thinking during their drafts, & I'm starting to believe that they don't either.

It was quite obvious that NE was not thinking of replacing Bledsoe with Brady or anyone else within a year or 2, because they signed Drew to a big contract. That fact is quite clear. It all changed with the hit that sidelined Drew.

I'm not sure what NFL John Gruden is working in, but that last time I checked most first round picks in the NFL are handed their jobs. You have to get a guy on the field to see what he can bring to your football team.

The difference between J.P and Simms is where they were picked. There's no real pressure to get him on the field in Tampa Bay, but the pressure to get J.P on the field is huge.

I have no clue what Dallas is thinking during their drafts, & I'm starting to believe that they don't either. 

It was quite obvious that NE was not thinking of replacing Bledsoe with Brady or anyone else within a year or 2, because they signed Drew to a big contract.  That fact is quite clear.  It all changed with the hit that sidelined Drew.

256359[/snapback]

The Pats had some sort of plan with Brady though because they carried four QBs his rookie year because they were afraid to leave him on the practice squad.

I will agree with your comments on the Cowboys' QB situation ---- that position has been musical chairs since Aikman left. I thought Buffalo was having a hard time finding a replacemtn for Kelly, but the Bills have done far better than the 'Bys.

I'm not sure what NFL John Gruden is working in, but that last time I checked most first round picks in the NFL are handed their jobs.  You have to get a guy on the field to see what he can bring to your football team.

The difference between J.P and Simms is where they were picked.  There's no real pressure to get him on the field in Tampa Bay, but the pressure to get J.P on the field is huge.

256361[/snapback]

Sims has been on the field in a real live game and not just as a mop up like JP ------ no wonder Gruden is in no rush to get him back out there!!!!!!

Okay, I know I need to let this die, but it still bothers me.

First Martz and Sherman both say they love Losman and would start him as well. Seems to me these guys might be a little better judge of QBs than Chuckie, but lets say the evaluation of GBs is even.

Got me to thinking, aren't all QBs handed their jobs. Let me explain. At some point, either because of injury or bad play, the backup QB gets to be elavated to first string and get most of the reps in practice, the game starts and all else that goes with being the starter. Lets just say the NFL had no offseason, and we were getting bready to start another season this month. If the Bills had come out and said" thats it, we are making a change at QB, , we can no longer accept this level of play at QB and based upon what we see in practice, we are going with JP "would that have been handing him the job?

"We don't give guys starting jobs here just because Buffalo is giving their guy [J.P. Losman] their job," Gruden told the two Tampa-area papers. "Chris Simms has to earn that right. He has to earn the right to be a starter. He hasn't done that yet.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/28/Bucs/Buc...ontract_t.shtml

255482[/snapback]

Hey when he said those comments did he try and look like a real tough guy? You know when you see him on the sideline with his face all sqished up to try and look as mean as possible but it really looks fake and foolish.