Bills Distraction - Part II - CFB

LI_Bills

I want the NFL involved.

Why would they do it? Because it would make money. Lots of it. IF they could get kids to join that league instead of pretending to go to college for 3 years.

These kids should be paid. Not by colleges. By the NFL. Just like MLB pays minor league players.

If the NFL can make a developmental league that would truly be the best young players (now currently going to decent colleges), then it would be successful, in my opinion.

It frosts my ass to see someone like Jevon Kearse, whom I think every single person here can agree is an absolute idiot, go to college for three years at the University of Florida for free (and let's not pretend they're not getting paid already, and have been for many years) when someone going there to actually get an education (go figure) is paying over $20k/year (in-state. out of state is over $40k).

Separate professional sports from college educations.

Young baseball players choose all the time - do I go to school to play baseball and get my degree, risking injury and hoping for the best; or do I go straight into the minors and hope I can stay healthy enough and good enough to where I won't need the degree?

Why should that be different for football?

Why shouldn't it? Who decides what's best? Who cares what a student pays to go to College? Blame the government for that by flooding the system with available $ for student loans. College football is a huge business and has a rabid following by alumni and non alumni alike. This is not replicable in some minor league run by the NFL. The Colleges have every right to do it, and if they choose to provide scholarships to their athletes so be it. Want a scholarship to play football? Don't begrudge anyone for getting one, go get one yourself. Start training , learn the game and work hard at it. No different than anything else. Baseball players can always choose to play college ball and their injury risk is less than football players. Or they can do the minor league thing. If they're not good enough they can go to College and get a job like everyone else.

Why shouldn't it? Who decides what's best? Who cares what a student pays to go to College? Blame the government for that by flooding the system with available $ for student loans. College football is a huge business and has a rabid following by alumni and non alumni alike. This is not replicable in some minor league run by the NFL. The Colleges have every right to do it, and if they choose to provide scholarships to their athletes so be it. Want a scholarship to play football? Don't begrudge anyone for getting one, go get one yourself. Start training , learn the game and work hard at it. No different than anything else. Baseball players can always choose to play college ball and their injury risk is less than football players. Or they can do the minor league thing. If they're not good enough they can go to College and get a job like everyone else.

get off my lawn...

I want the NFL involved.

Why would they do it? Because it would make money. Lots of it. IF they could get kids to join that league instead of pretending to go to college for 3 years.

These kids should be paid. Not by colleges. By the NFL. Just like MLB pays minor league players.

If the NFL can make a developmental league that would truly be the best young players (now currently going to decent colleges), then it would be successful, in my opinion.

It frosts my ass to see someone like Jevon Kearse, whom I think every single person here can agree is an absolute idiot, go to college for three years at the University of Florida for free (and let's not pretend they're not getting paid already, and have been for many years) when someone going there to actually get an education (go figure) is paying over $20k/year (in-state. out of state is over $40k).

Separate professional sports from college educations.

Young baseball players choose all the time - do I go to school to play baseball and get my degree, risking injury and hoping for the best; or do I go straight into the minors and hope I can stay healthy enough and good enough to where I won't need the degree?

Why should that be different for football?

It might be a money maker, NFL Europe certainly wasn't. Don't think you'll see it happen.

An NFL developmental league would not be a money making endeavor. It's all about viewers and advertising dollars. How many people watch NBA summer leagues, or MLB minor league games? Hell, how many casual fans watch preseason NFL games?

The reason college football works is that there are so many people emotionally involved. These schools have more than 20,000 students at any one time. Then you have alumni, students' families, local population, state pride, etc. This means a lot of viewers.

An NFL developmental league would have none of this.