When Does Average Become Unacceptable?

Sometimes I think the Bills biggest problem is that we're not bad enough.

* Doug Whaley has not acquired talent on pace with the very best GMs in the league. But he's not bad enough to replace.

* Rex isn't coaching as well as the best coaches in the league. But he's not bad enough to get fired.

* Taylor isn't quarterbacking at the level of the best QBs in the league. But he's not bad enough to get benched or cut.

While I often find myself agreeing with the continuity crowd, I also worry about not being bad enough.

In winning organizations, being average in a key position is unacceptable. Being average is failure. The goal isn't to be average. The goal is to win Super Bowls.

Wilson is a little better than an average quarterback who is asked to score more than 10 to win

Buffalo averages 25 pts currently a game

In Wilsons career Seattle has given up 24 or more 11 times in 60 games they are 2--9 18% seattle defense gives up 24 or more

In Tyrods career Buffalo has given up 24 or more 8 times in 24 games they are 0-8 50% buffalo defense gives up 24 or more

In WIlsons career Seattle has given up 17 or less 31 times in 60 games and are 27-3-1 52% of total games defense gives up 17 or less

In Tyrod career Buffalo has given up 17 or less 12 times in 24 games and are 10-2 50% of total games defense gives up 17 or less

To me they are the same type of quarterbacks, Wilson is better but not by much and is asked to do less. The magic number is on the other side of the ball keep them at 17 or under. If the give up just 10 more points its not good.

when the opponent scores 27 or more Wilson is 1-7

when the opponent scores 27 or more Taylor is 0-8

we keep comparing him to the best qb's in the league or frankly ever. Rothlisberger, Brady, Brees how about being a little more realistic

Edited by CardinalScotts

As far as this fan is concerned being average became unacceptable about 8-10 years ago. Literally thinking about another 7-9/8-8 season makes me sick. But like that addict that I am I keep coming back for my yearly beating. So I guess in some way that means that we all accept it to some degree because the true hardcore guys/gals like us aren't going anywhere. I'm actually in the middle of planing the logistics for the Dolphins game so...

Wilson is a little better than an average quarterback who is asked to score more than 10 to win

In Wilsons career Seattle has given up 24 or more 11 times in 60 games they are 2--9 18% seattle defense gives up 24 or more

In Tyrods career Buffalo has given up 24 or more 8 times in 24 games they are 0-8 50% buffalo defense gives up 24 or more

In WIlsons career Seattle has given up 17 or less 31 times in 60 games and are 27-3-1 52% of total games defense gives up 17 or less

In Tyrod career Buffalo has given up 17 or less 12 times in 24 games and are 10-2 50% of total games defense gives up 17 or less

To me they are the same type of quarterbacks, Wilson is better but not by much and is asked to do less. The magic number is on the other side of the ball keep them at 17 or under. If the give up just 10 more points its not good.

we keep comparing him to the best qb's in the league or frankly ever. Rothlisberger, Brady, Brees how about being a little more realistic

This is a really good point that no one ever considers. You couldve/shouldve made this its own thread the research is cool

Edited by Marty McFly

Great info. Thanks. My problem isnt that we will finish 8-8 or 9-7. It's that we will get to that record without actually beating any good teams. If we were 8-8 and beating a few good teams along the way it would feel like we were on the brink of more success. Instead we end up being the best of the losers.