If we front load the offer to Franks...

No way we have the cap room to sign all of those guys though.  With the cuts you listed we would probably have just enough room to sign 2 of those 4 guys.  No way we can get a big name C and G in Free Agency on top of resigning Pat and getting Bubba. 

I think it's more probable that TD and company sign a decent FA guard and then make the decision whether they want to go after a FA TE or resign Pat.  The only way we could get all three of these Guys (Guard, Big Pat and a TE (Pollard or Franks) is if we get soem of our own guys to restructure  cough Mike Williams  cough comes to mind.  I just don't see bug Mike taking a pay cut tho, the guy seems to be all about the moeny according to soem of the articles written about him.

249307[/snapback]

If Philly can get T.O. and Jevone Kerse we can get these guys too ..........I sick of that tired Line its all in the signing bonus .We can do it if Donohoe think that its feaseable ......... I trust Donohoe and Modrak on this :unsure:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's where we disagree.  I don't think GB can match a credible offer.

250727[/snapback]

you think GB is just going to let him walk ? It wil take a better then average deal to get Franks out of GB's locker room IMO.

I don't see the Bills working to hard to get him

you think GB is just going to let him walk ? It wil take a better then average deal to get Franks out of GB's locker room IMO.

I don't see the Bills working to hard to get him

250733[/snapback]

GB is about to lose both their starting guards and have major holes on defense........they are not in position to match a "market value" deal for franks.........

better then average? well i would hope the deal is better then average, seeing that is where he ranks as a players.......

Matthews is a serviceable back up who knows the offense.  My guess is he'll be back and we'll draft a 3rd QB.

249405[/snapback]

Matthews was sitting on the couch at home when Travis Brown and JP Losman went down last pre-season for a reason and the reason was that no other team in the league saw im as a servicaeable back-up.

He's a journeyman at best and not the person we want to rely on in a Frank Reich role of being able to step in as your starter for 2 or 3 games and give you a good shot at winning. The same thing that makes him not an unreasonable choice as a disaster QN (11 years of experience) is the thing that makes him quite questionable as someone who is a reliable starter for a few games as he is a bit long in the tooth to be depended on for much more than mop-up duty.

Even worse, even 1st round QB choices are a 50/50 propostion, after a pretty bad start to his career when was thrown into the NE game hesettled down a bit and I think we can be comfortabke that he wil have his up and downs as a starter but should learn in time, but if JP does go south (unlikely but still a real possibility or were to get hurt again, if matthew is all we got as a #2 then almost certainly hang it up for the season.

These is just little in Matthews career but to really see him as being too far away from the couch at home during playing time.

Matthews was sitting on the couch at home when Travis Brown and JP Losman went down last pre-season for a reason and the reason was that no other team in the league saw im as a servicaeable back-up.

He's a journeyman at best and not the person we want to rely on in a Frank Reich role of being able to step in as your starter for 2 or 3 games and give you a good shot at winning.  The same thing that makes him not an unreasonable choice as a disaster QN (11 years of experience) is the thing that makes him quite questionable as someone who is a reliable starter for a few games as he is a bit long in the tooth to be depended on for much more than mop-up duty.

Even worse, even 1st round QB choices are a 50/50 propostion, after a pretty bad start to his career when was thrown into the NE game hesettled down a bit and I think we can be comfortabke that he wil have his up and downs as a starter but should learn in time, but if JP does go south (unlikely but still a real possibility or were to get hurt again, if matthew is all we got as a #2 then almost certainly hang it up for the season.

These is just little in Matthews career but to really see him as being too far away from the couch at home during playing time.

250961[/snapback]

so you see a better option out there? we're talking about a backup QB who has no shot at winning the starting job -- how many guys want that gig?

matthews is dirt cheap and will not cause a stir.......i'm quite happy with him as the backup.........

This front loaded offer stuff is how TD was able to steal Spikes away from the Bengals without a battle.

I still say TD should go out and try to sign Pollard first. If he isn't willing to come in at a decent price, then snatch Franks.

I'd rather see them go after Marcus Pollard myself

249314[/snapback]

I agree. I think Franks is very overrated. Much better than what we've got now, but not worth the $$$. Pollard may be a lot older, but I've always liked his game.

This front loaded offer stuff is how TD was able to steal Spikes away from the Bengals without a battle.

251129[/snapback]

untrue........spikes first year cap number was only 2.5M.......the deal was backloaded, not frontloaded.........

the signing bonus didn't scare off the bengals.........the fact he wanted to leave did.........marv was on a big "if you don't want to be a bengal we don't want you" kick his first few months on the job........

He's a journeyman at best and not the person we want to rely on in a Frank Reich role of being able to step in as your starter for 2 or 3 games and give you a good shot at winning.  The same thing that makes him not an unreasonable choice as a disaster QN (11 years of experience) is the thing that makes him quite questionable as someone who is a reliable starter for a few games as he is a bit long in the tooth to be depended on for much more than mop-up duty.

250961[/snapback]

Check This Out

untrue........spikes first year cap number was only 2.5M.......the deal was backloaded, not frontloaded.........

the signing bonus didn't scare off the bengals.........the fact he wanted to leave did.........marv was on a big "if you don't want to be a bengal we don't want you" kick his first few months on the job........

251137[/snapback]

Considering the minimum salary at the time was somewhere in the $450K range, I'd say the $2.5 million dollar first year salary and over $4,500,000 number against the cap in year one played a roll in Marvin's "damage control" language. The Bengals had a ton of holes and little cap room to manuever to fill them.

so you see a better option out there? we're talking about a backup QB who has no shot at winning the starting job -- how many guys want that gig?

matthews is dirt cheap and will not cause a stir.......i'm quite happy with him as the backup.........

251003[/snapback]

Tons of better options than Matthews are out there for s back-up. Folks speak highly of Batch (Simon in particular) though he has not started for a while which raises questions for me, but he looks like a better option. McMahon gives me pause because he didn't even rack up over 50% completion % in his major shots at starting, but he was seen as of enough quallity to back-up last year by an NFL team which puts him ahead of a guy who would have retired last year and been on the couch if not for two injuries to our QBs.

Even Kordelia for all his faults strikes me as a far better choice than Matthews. They both share the same problem of age and thus how they would stand up to conasistent pounding if you had to call on them to play the Reich role, but at least Kordell has been there before having experienced greater heights and success as a player than Matthews.

Don't get me wrong, I think Matthews is a fine choice as our #3 disaster QB, but to have him as your #2 behind a 2nd year guy who we have high and reasonable hopes for, but unfortunately as a youngster may need to ride the pines for a chunk of time as paert of developing him is a strange choice in my book and little more than wishful thinking instead of adopting a tough hard-edged plan B.

Maybe with the surge of interest in TV poker and the comfort that he probably won' get fired if the team screws up again that would have TD roll the dice on Losman with Matthews as his back-up, but I for one certainly hope and think things can work out with JP as #1 but Iam simply not comfortable with what seems little more than hoping Matthews never gets called on as #2 as being the best chancethat things work out with him.

The negatory on Matthews as #2 list to me starts with:

1. He was sitting at home when we rescued him (everybody else having passed on him as even their #3) and has talked seriously about retiring and having a nice swan song and exitr when he tossed a TD for us late last year. He simply does not display the level of aggression and drive to suceed by winning I want in a #2.

2. He is an 11 year vet and if called on to go through the pounding of consistent performance if JP gets hurt or needs to sit we are in deep deep trouble.

3. He seems to me to be more like Bledsoe rather than more like JP in terms of mobility and run threat. I would prefer our #2 to offer a lesser version of the same skill set and type of player that JP offers which is one of the things that speaks for Kordell who is an older, slower mobile QB, but a mobile guy nontheless.

4. Matthews has seen a lot of football which is nice and great for a teacher at #3, but he has seen a lot of football not because of his many SB runs but because he is a journey man at best.

A great guy but a real disappointment if this is the best we can do at #2.

I think that given the cap, a player of the rancid ilk I mentioned above may be the best we can do, but I'd rather blow the cap and have us go with someone who has won there before like Johnson or Warner than make a cost-effective bad choice whose best chance of suceeding in the job is that you never have to use him as #2.

Considering the minimum salary at the time was somewhere in the $450K range, I'd say the $2.5 million dollar first year salary and over $4,500,000 number against the cap in year one played a roll in Marvin's "damage control" language.  The Bengals had a ton of holes and little cap room to manuever to fill them.

251168[/snapback]

learn to read spanky.......his first year CAP NUMBER was 2.5M, not his salary......

he only made 1M in salary for 2003........

Can either Franks or Pollard block? That's what I would be looking for first is a TE that is an above average blocker to help out McGahee.

I think we can get a guy that is mostly a blocker pretty cheap ~1Mil instead of breaking the bank for Pollard or Franks.

We have other areas that we can spend the money on.