Starter Fertilizer Options

TSNBDSC

Starter Fertilizer season is coming up in September and I'm looking at brand options. Scotts is the default choice. Wondering if there's a better product like Lesco, Vigoro, etc. Putting down Lesco Transition Fescue as well as aerating. Sprinkler system in place. I've heard a slow release starter is better.

no memory of where ya live. but first things first, fertilizer and seed don't mean a thing unless your pH balance is on point. get your pH right, get your soil right... raise good soil you'll raise good grass and then you'll have good beef. a good lawn.

call up your local county office agricultural extension. they can give you a box or 4 depending on your acreage and you can collect soil samples of your land and have your states ag school check them. it's free in most states. getting this done will tell you exactly what you need for fertilizer - whether you're establishing grass or fertilizing mature grass.

further, not all grasses you know of are grass - but that's a whole bunch of stuff in depth but i bring that up because it matters if you want a self sustaining lawn. if you put clover in (which is best done in feb-mar) you can use the legumes to create your own nitrogen and increase your protein of the forage... but in your case, it can offset nitrogen as much as 40 lbs.

but when you use fertilizer, make sure you do know the basics. 10-10-10 is not 10lbs of N, P and K in the bag. it's 10 lbs. per 100 lbs. of the item. and in most cases, you're establishing it now so you'll need more p and k. n it up in the fall, and lightly with spring.

i don't deal with the brands you'll think of... it's too expensive. i go buy it in bulk in most cases but when i don't i buy it by the exact chemicals i need. the farm has a lawn fit for a golf course.

either way, this is hit or miss on your answer, i was in a hurry. i'll type more later.