Bubba Franks

Estro

My bad, I didnt read the article before I asked about the compensation

If they opted not to match, the Packers would receive no compensation from the club that signed Franks. -from the article

This is definitely an interseting option for Donahoe and company to look into. Green Bay has a lot of other free agents particularly on their o-line so if we give him a contract a little above what GB is willing to pay we could land ourselves a pretty productive pass catching TE.

I think a 4 year deal worth $8-10 million and a $3-5 million signing bonus would be fair

My guess is we definitely want a TE because the ACL injuries will leave us lucky if one recovers to be a contributor by mid-season this year and even if the normal occurs and like others who have recovered to their former selves for ACL surgery we are actually talking about a season and a half to see them return to their previous form.

However, I think this timeline has us looking for stopgap solutions to fill the TE void this year and the long-term interest and probable commitment is not to sign a good long term prospect like Franks and pay the cap hit and draft choice freight necessary to make him a Bill.

I know little about the current play of folks like Becht or Cleeland who did well before but I doubt will get tagged will might be more the tipe we go after. I think we will want a TE who we judge has something left in the tank for one season but is not a good enough prospect for long-term play that a one year deal works. The TE version of Larry Centers when he came here is probably what we are after.

yea i kinda agree with you there FFS, but who's to say the TE's we have on our roster now are for the long term, especially if they don't recover well from the knee injuries. I think Euhus will be a good player for us, but that's just what I think.

I also think it would be a big mistake to not make a serious attemot to acquire Bubba. He's a good blocker which would help the line and he'd be a huge addition to our red zone offense. Especially with Losman moving out of the pocket on pass options, I believe Franks would be a great option.