(OT) Flying to Europe

gflande1

Wife and I are flying to Frankfurt Germany. We can save $400. if we fly with Iberia airlines instead of Lufthansa. The Iberia flight is almost 4 hours longer because we have a layover in madrid (Lufthansa is direct).

On Iberia we would fly:

Airbus A340-600

Mcdonald Douglas MD87

Airbus A319

Airbus A340

Lufthansa would be a

Airbus A340

Boeing 747

Anyways, I have never flown either. In fact, i have never heard of Iberia.

Anyone have any experience with either?

Is it $400 savings total?

If you can afford it, I always prefer direct flights especially for INTL travel. Luft is 1st rate. IB, I haven't flown.

I'm always exhausted and all I want (in fact I'm dying for it) to do is fall asleep for the entire flight. If you fall into this category, having to change planes absolutely sucks.

I agree, always take a direct flight. Connections suck; if a plane is late you could be stuck in the airport longer, etc. Just fork over the $400.

I've never heard of Iberia, but I've heard of Lufthansa. That's about all I can offer on that. <_<

CW

I've flown Lufthansa several times. It's a very good airline. They really treat you right. I would choose the direct flight to Europe. The flight is long enough without a layover after you have crossed the ocean.

Wish I could help with tips for Frankfurt, but I spent most of my time in Munich and Austria.

Lufthansa is a fine airline.

I'll agree with the others about flying direct.

If your destination is Frankfort you're there in about 6 hours, and that's a big deal if your flight leaves in the evening - like they do in Newark. You'll be up all night. By the time you're fed and watch the movie you're two hours from touchdown. I can never sleep, so I get stir crazy for the flight to end, but changing planes only prolongs the agony.

If money is more important though - take the cheaper flight. But unless you're in business class, being cooped up in an aluminum tube with 200 fellow travellers (!) is going to be a grind - no matter what airline you choose.

By the way I've found that forcing myself to stay up all day (if you're arriving in the AM in Europe) is the best thing to do. You'll get over your jet lag much more quickly if you stay up till it's 6-8 PM local time. Then go to bed. If you take a nap or go to sleep when you get to your hotel at 10 AM, you're going to be screwed when you try to get adjusted to the local time.

Hey! Have a good time.

I agree with your suggestions, but try selling that to the wife and her friend. Last year, I flew to the Middle East (military) on a chartered flight. This aircraft had the worst seats I have ever sat in. On the way back, they chartered us a Boeing 777 which had awesome seats. Boy, what a difference. I could have killed myself on that first flight...we were so uncomfortable. That is what concerns me with this iberia airline. The other thing that sucks is they dont provide free food and drinks. I hear it gets expensive, but not $400.

Im just conflicted, do I listen to my wife, who has never flown a plane longer than 4 hours, or do I listen to my ass that has.

Are those your only choices? I know that you can fly direct to Frankfurt on NWA from Detroit with no stops or layovers and some great fares right now.

I always prefer to make my connections in the US (if I must connect) and then take the non-stops accross to my destination.

Just a thought.

I would stay away from Iberia. In fact, if you were flying to Madrid instead of Frankfurt, I'd tell you to fly LH to Frankfurt and connect down to Spain on whomever.

The LH crews are more professional, planes are better maintained, and if you have a delay, LH will take care of alternate arrangements.

Sounds like you will get what you pay for! I wouldn't take IB across lake Erie to Crystal Beach.

I agree with your suggestions, but try selling that to the wife and her friend. Last year, I flew to the Middle East (military) on a chartered flight. This aircraft had the worst seats I have ever sat in. On the way back, they chartered us a Boeing 777 which had awesome seats. Boy, what a difference. I could have killed myself on that first flight...we were so uncomfortable. That is what concerns me with this iberia airline. The other thing that sucks is they dont provide free food and drinks. I hear it gets expensive, but not $400.

Im just conflicted, do I listen to my wife, who has never flown a plane longer than 4 hours, or do I listen to my ass that has.

246421[/snapback]

Who's wearing the pants in the family anyway? Tell the old lady to shutup and go bake a pie.