JPP Talks About the Accident that Damaged His Hand

Because none of us have ever done something dumb in our teens or twenties? No car surfing, no standing up in pickup trucks, no drinking and driving, no fireworks, we're all 100% sane and sensible?

Listen up. I know someone, midwest farmer. Like many farmers in his state (big tiller bendin' rocks) he holds a commercial explosive license (to blow up big tiller bendin' rocks). He and a bunch of buds had the bright notion to form a fireworks display company. Did everything right, got all the safety training, licenses, went from small town to small town setting off fireworks and making kids happy. Did it for years.

One year he lit a dud. Said he knew right away it was a dud, and part of his mind was telling him to do the right stuff, (turn away duck and cover), even as he turned his head and looked right at it. Blew half his face off, lost an eye, spent 6 months in hospital getting plastic surgeries. He still doesn't know why he did the wrong thing. This is a smart, college-educated, mechanically adept, fireworks-trained man, also one of the toughest SOBs you'd ever meet which saved his life and his brothers a few years later but that's another story.

Point is until we're tested, none of us really knows how we'll react when something goes wrong. Maybe don't be too quick to label "idiots", there might be one lurking inside when you check your mirror.

I'm with Niagara Bill here.

Your point is...be prepared when you take a dangerous risk, and if it blows up in your face, at least you were prepared?

It's the same deal with guns. BOTTOM LINE, the odds of something going terribly wrong, increases significantly when guns/explosives/no seatbelt are involved.

Smarten up. Be safe. You don't get many chances in this life.

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

It was an ACCIDENT. Mistakes happen.

Why are you bashing the guy like you know him? Have a little compassion.

I take it you haven't read any recent mark twain books. Pretty dry, like dead dry.

Imo

Mistakes happen?...last time I made a mistake I didn't lose a body part, I took the next exit. Why are you defending the guy like you know him?

Compassion? I have little compassion for reckless behavior.

I know a professional athlete or two, and they would never play with explosives this way.

Stupid is as stupid does.

P.s. I am happy for JPP that he's still playing. (There is your compassion)

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

I'm with Niagara Bill here.

Your point is...be prepared when you take a dangerous risk, and if it blows up in your face, at least you were prepared?

Um, no, that wasn't my point, but if you're "with Niagara Bill" I doubt my abilities to explain my points to you.

For anyone else listening, my point is

1) many people do dumb, risky things, especially in their youth (and mid-20s is still youth). That includes people who are not, in general, idiots, but have some other motivation.

2) even for smart people with risk-mitigating training and proper precautions, sh** happens and they can have an idiotic reaction and get badly hurt

3) therefore don't be so quick to call someone an idiot and dismiss their story as uninteresting, just because they did a dumb, risky thing (and are paying the price of it)

com·pas·sion (noun) kəmˈpaSHən sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others. [nothing there about only applies to smart life choices]

Most people can have compassion for someone who did something dumb and risky and is suffering consequences, even if they wouldn't do that thing themselves..

You can't, Niagara Bill can't, fair enough, doesn't make you better humans, more interesting or likeable, or smarter IMHO.

Edited by Hopeful

Um, no, that wasn't my point, but if you're "with Niagara Bill" I doubt my abilities to explain my points to you.

For anyone else listening, my point is

1) many people do dumb, risky things, especially in their youth (and mid-20s is still youth). That includes people who are not, in general, idiots, but have some other motivation.

2) even for smart people with risk-mitigating training and proper precautions, sh** happens and they can have an idiotic reaction and get badly hurt

3) therefore don't be so quick to call someone an idiot and dismiss their story as uninteresting, just because they did a dumb, risky thing (and are paying the price of it)

com·pas·sion (noun) kəmˈpaSHən sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others. [nothing there about only applies to smart life choices]

Most people can have compassion for someone who did something dumb and risky and is suffering consequences, even if they wouldn't do that thing themselves..

You can't, Niagara Bill can't, fair enough, doesn't make you better humans, more interesting or likeable, or smarter IMHO.

I don't disagree with that. Cheers.

Listen up...really , very Pius of you.

This guy is not your trained expert, he is an accident waiting to happen. No sane person would endanger himself or others playing with fireworks. What a lesson to the kids, blow your hand off. See the blood kiddies.

If your friend decided to play football at 165 lbs and never played before and was paralyzed on the first play I suppose you would defend him as well.

Whether he was college educated or not JPP was stupid to put himself and others in that position.

Take a look in your mirror, maybe someone is lurking.

ps Manziel is collage educated.....so is Josh Gordon, etc etc

I could not even hazard a guess at the number of stupid things I have done in my lifetime-- including playing with fireworks. If you are one of the few people in the world who never does anything stupid, or dangerous (I assume such people are extremely rare, as I have never met one), then bravo! I expect you may lead a long, and boring life, assuming you can avoid all of the random illnesses, and calamities that happen even to people who live "safe," and "intelligent" lives.

I suppose you can count me along with the JPPs of the world as someone who will occasionally take a risk, even for a mild thrill, and hope for the best. Life is short. But, it might seem long, and tiresome were it not for the occasional joyride. Please don't speak ill of me when I accidentally blow my nuts off.

I could not even hazard a guess at the number of stupid things I have done in my lifetime-- including playing with fireworks. If you are one of the few people in the world who never does anything stupid, or dangerous (I assume such people are extremely rare, as I have never met one), then bravo! I expect you may lead a long, and boring life, assuming you can avoid all of the random illnesses, and calamities that happen even to people who live "safe," and "intelligent" lives.

I suppose you can count me along with the JPPs of the world as someone who will occasionally take a risk, even for a mild thrill, and hope for the best. Life is short. But, it might seem long, and tiresome were it not for the occasional joyride. Please don't speak ill of me when I accidentally blow my nuts off.

I would never speak poorly of you blowing your nuts. but i surely make fun of you. in the most kind manner.

Personally i like risk. I like a bit of adrenalin on occasion

As long as i am the only one taking that bet..

every one makes mistakes, it is what they do afterwords that makes them.