Franchise tag

dj-man

I can't say for sure but I highly doubt that you are allowed to franchise a player for a position that they don't play. Otherwise we would have an awful lot of full backs or kickers on each team.

245791[/snapback]

Who's the last player we ever slapped the tag on ?

Jennings can only be tagged at a OT

245814[/snapback]

So you tag him as an OT and move him after the fact. Is the league going to say a team has no right to play its own players where the team determines it needs them most? What if an injury in camp or during the season makes a move a necessity. If the league can do this, is there any precedence?

So you tag him as an OT and move him after the fact.  Is the league going to say a team has no right to play its own players where the team determines it needs them most?  What if an injury in camp or during the season makes a move a necessity.  If the league can do this, is there any precedence?

245840[/snapback]

The premise behind the original post was not to play JJ in a particular spot, but was based on the false assumption that there would be a cap room savings by tagging him based on the top 5 average salaries of center rather than the top 5 salaries of LTs. The premise is incorrect as centers and LT salaries are all lumped together for franchise purposes as the 5 top OL salaries even if they were all LTs.

IF the Bills trade for Shelton and

IF the Bills can sign Pat Williams

THEN tagging Jennings makes a LOT of sense - not because the Bills can simply keep JJ but because then they would have the option to TRADE him.

This scenario makes a lot of sense to me IF all this can be done under the current cap situation. I am completely in the dark (fact and opinonwise) on the Mike Williams contract plans. This will play a major role in the maneuvering room moneywise for the Bills.

-RnJ

IF the Bills trade for Shelton and

IF the Bills can sign Pat Williams

THEN tagging Jennings makes a LOT of sense - not because the Bills can simply keep JJ but because then they would have the option to TRADE him.

This scenario makes a lot of sense to me IF all this can be done under the current cap situation. I am completely in the dark (fact and opinonwise) on the Mike Williams contract plans. This will play a major role in the maneuvering room moneywise for the Bills.

-RnJ

245876[/snapback]

However you have to understand that once a player is franchised; the average of the top 5 players at his position will immediately count against your cap which means the Bills would "lose" $8 million of cap space. As think of the cap as a line of a credit and the players as products, if you charge something to that credit (ie franchise a player) although you have yet to pay for it with real money it still counts against that line of credit until you pay it (sign your franchse player to a contract) or return the item to the store (ie remove the franchise tag and/or trade the player).

That's why the Bills didn't give TKO an offersheet or sign Adams until AFTER trading Peerless a few years ago.