Wondering why we are not looking at NT's

It is interesting that you dont mention 3-4 Defense when that is part of Rex Ryan's bread and butter

I think that Marcel will play the 5 tech at times and I think it actually will play to his strengths

But....until we actually see it on the field....who knows

I do agree that Wynn and possibly Carrington could play big spots on this defense....I just get this feeling that we are gonna draft a big body in a year where there are quality available with that 19th pick

What I would really like to do is trade down and try to get Vernon Butler.....and another 2nd round pick.....there is gonna be quality players in the 2nd round of this draft.

these 4-3 under and over fronts are technically still a 3-4, except the weak side OLB is now a hybrid 'open side' LB/DE spread to a 7-tech to rush the edge.. they're 1-gap defensive fronts that can easily shift the strong (closed) side LB to the LOS to complete a 5-2, and walk safeties up into. as a 1-gap defense from end to end, it's got a lot in common with Buddy's original 46 - quick to the running lanes, and real versatile in choosing what gaps to overload.. but unlike the 46, which died at the hands of the quick hitting WCO pasing game - it still gives you 4 backer type athletes who you can mix into pass coverages - and if your closed side DE is willing and able - you can drop him, too.. it's like a damn swiss army knife.. and the best thing is, it gives a quick, powerful DT outside leverage on the guard (Kiffen put this in at TB, and Sapp's in the HOF because of it). since everybody - including the NT - is a 1 gap defender, its hard for the center to go second level without the NT left sitting in the hole he leaves. same goes everywhere.. a man pulls, a defender fills. if a weakside TE/FB flexes to create an 8th gap, we walk the safety up.

4-3 under 4-3 over

TE T G C G T TE T G C G T

SLB DE NT DT LB/DE DE DT NT LB/DE

MLB WLB SLB MLB WLB

i still hope i don't see Dareus lined up as that closed side, 5-tech DE - he's got no business out there, that a traditional DE can't handle better..

i'm hoping Kyle has enough in the tank to handle that NT spot.. the LB playing the gap between he and Dareus could make a lot of plays - especially in the 'under' front - chasing strong side plays down from the backside, taking away cutbacks, hitting back against counters, and being tough enough to let our SLB stay closed side in an 'over' front. if it were me, that WLB spot would be what i'd fill with the most athletic and aggressive college player left at 19 - that or a SS with the same traits.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic