WSJ: The Shrinking Shelf Life of NFL Players

Players are more physical AND simply put, better! It's fairly obvious to me that great prospects in one years Draft are 'outshown' 2 Drafts later in today's game. The differences in the college game to the pros are shrinking every year, making it easier and faster to adjust to the 'bigs'.

As an example, EJ Manuel. My thoughts about him are well known, but is he a better QB than Trentative? Yes. Is he a better equipped QB than our previous 1st Rd QB Losman? Absolutely. While it doesn't mean he'll have an NFL job in 2 years, he's just better than those 2. Biscuit Bennett was a perennial Pro Bowler and a Freak of speed & agility when he played. Today, all linebackers are that good and some even better.

I do think, however, with all the League talk of extending the Season, rosters will grow -perhaps to 60 players, so very good, fringe vets may still have a place in the near future.

I don't agree with parts of this post but agree with the theme.

For quarterbacks, the transition is big. Dak Prescott is a huge, talented player, but will his game translate to a pro career? College football tends to not prepare QBs for the pros these days.

EJ? Best left for another thread. :)