Re: Who takes the bullet??

JTO

1. My biggest issue with the guy is that he couldn't beat anybody this year. He only dropped about 25% of his plays, the rest of the time he was mostly singled up against a freaking right tackle and he still was less than average out there. Looked old, slow and very much like someone who belongs playing for the raiders or the redskins.

He had three nice years for us. Thanks.

See ya never Mario.

There was clearly a dramatic drop off in performance with Mario. But I have a different take from you as to why. I watched him in the games and it was apparent to me that the effort wasn't there compared to last year. His body language was awful. It was as if he was out to prove that the change in the defense and his role under Rex wasn't going to work.

There are players who have prickly personalities who if they don't get their way prove to be challenging to deal with in a team setting. If they are not totally on board on what they are being asked to do they act out, sometimes blatantly so and sometimes seditiously so. Or another way of saying it is that they are out to sabotage the person they are rebelling against.

In the NBA talented players such as DeMarcus Cousins and Rajon Rondo come to mind who fit this stubborn description. These types of headstrong players can't be coddled. Their reactionary behavior has to be immediately responded to with a strong response by the coach demonstrating that their foolishness is not going to be tolerated. The coach doesn't need to yell and make a scene. You take the player out of the game and direct him to the end of the bench. The message is sent not only to player acting like a brat but also to the team that certain conduct is not going to be tolerated. In my view Rex was too tolerant in the manner he dealt with Mario.

Edited by JohnC

There was clearly a dramatic drop off in performance with Mario. But I have a different take from you as to why. I watched him in the games and it was apparent to me that the effort wasn't there compared to last year. His body language was awful. It was as if he was out to prove that the change in the defense and his role under Rex wasn't going to work.

There are players who have prickly personalities who if they don't get their way prove to be challenging to deal with in a team setting. If they are not totally on board on what they are being asked to do they act out, sometimes blatantly so and sometimes seditiously so. Or another way of saying it is that they are out to sabotage the person they are rebelling against.

In the NBA talented players such as DeMarcus Cousins and Rajon Rondo come to mind who fit this stubborn description. These types of headstrong players can't be coddled. There reactionary behavior has to be immediately responded to with a strong response by the coach demonstrating that their foolishness is not going to be tolerated. The coach doesn't need to yell and make a scene. You take the player out of the game and direct him to the end of the bench. The message is sent not only to player acting like a brat but also to the team that certain conduct is not going to be tolerated. In my view Rex was too tolerant in the manner he dealt with Mario.

This.

I think some holdovers from Marrone will be gone. Danny Crossman, Jason Rebrovich(LBs coach from Schwartz's staff).

If Rob Ryan comes in, I'd imagine it would be to coach LBs as we have a guy from Schwartz's staff(Rebrovich) and a pretty young coach(April III) there right now and that position was somewhat of a problem last year. This would be a good move IMO.

Tony Sparano's son is our staff coaching TEs and Rex has a history with Tony Sr. going back to NY and I could see him coming on to help with TEs and OL.

If Miami brings in a new staff, I'd be trying to grab their ST coach. He has been very good.

I think some holdovers from Marrone will be gone. Danny Crossman, Jason Rebrovich(LBs coach from Schwartz's staff).

If Rob Ryan comes in, I'd imagine it would be to coach LBs as we have a guy from Schwartz's staff(Rebrovich) and a pretty young coach(April III) there right now and that position was somewhat of a problem last year. This would be a good move IMO.

Tony Sparano's son is our staff coaching TEs and Rex has a history with Tony Sr. going back to NY and I could see him coming on to help with TEs and OL.

If Miami brings in a new staff, I'd be trying to grab their ST coach. He has been very good.

On a related note, it sounds like Bobby April (Sr.) will be available. Our specials teams were top notch when he coached them several years back.