Report: NFL considers "over-the-top" Yahoo TNF deal

PromoTheRobot

"Friday Nite Fights" was a big TV item in my youth. But, they went to pay TV, and the audience dwindled. NFL will make the same mistakes in slow motion, might take 40 years to play it out. I haven't watched a fight since the Rocky Marciano days (for you younger readers here, that was a real Rocky), allthough I did know who C. Clay was. (later Ali) don't know the name of a current single pro fighter...and don't really care. TNF really is tough on the players, and I believe the quality of the game decreases with the short turn around from a sunday game......bad idea for the fan imho. Not a fan of the Yahoo streaming....we did the side by side comparison for the Jacksonville game. Lets hope the NFL doesnt get to tricky and screw it up.

By signing an exclusivity contract, it has forced fans to support a ****ty satellite company that otherwise would have folded years ago.

That will eventually prove to be the pioneering contract that us to future options.

So you'd rather be dealing with the cable company with no competition for even television to have the NFL package? That sounds delightful.

The primary way the NFL and their networks make their money is through cable subscriber fees.

ESPN pays the NFL $2 billion a year for Monday night football. Having the NFL makes almost impossible for a cable company to not carry a network. This means ESPN is able to collect almost $7 from every cable subscriber in the country, over $7 billion a year. It doesn't matter if you watch ESPN or not. If you have cable, you pay. This is why when the NFL network rolled out, the fight between the cable companies and the NFL was primarily about whether it would be carried on the basic tier or on a premium tier, a fight that the NFL mostly won.

For now, network neutrality prevents the NFL from replicating this same model on the internet.