Drew was very valuable to the Bills

BF_in_Indiana

Drew may not have worked out like we had hoped on the playing field, but he helped the Bills in a more important fashion when he was brought here. While I have been very critical (sometimes maybe too much) of his play, if he had not been traded here and helped us turn the corner from 3-13 in 2001 to 8-8 in 2002 we would not have been able to land the free agents we have like Takeo Spikes, Lawyer Milloy, Sam Adams, Troy Vincent, and others.

If Van Pelt had started in 2002 we would have been just as bad because of our defense and bad teams don't bring in free agents. Look at Arizona and other perenial bad teams. People don't want to sign with them because they know that they aren't going anywhere. Drew at least helped us turn the corner from horrible to average quickly so we were able to bring in some quality players on both sides of the ball.

For that I thank him.

That's why I have had such mixed feelings about the Bledsoe debate. Many forget that his arrival really recharged the batteries of this franchise following the disasterous Rob Johnson era. I really wanted Bledsoe to be the man, and will admit that I thought he would be. I guess it hasn't worked out, so time to move on and try something else.

Good post BF. Even thought I am 100 percent supportative of moving on from the Bledsoe era in Buffalo, not EVERTHING about Drew was bad. He did help re-energize the franchise. He has class. I wish him well, but its so obvious there are limits to what he can do now. Its time to roll the dice with the kid. Case closed.

Great post. He was valuable for this franchise and area. It didn't end the way any party hoped, but overall was a good thing. Some people have to realize that and stop their venomous attacks on the guy himself. Hey, he played in total about 1.25 seasons of good football over three years and did put in a Pro-Bowl performance at QB for the Bills the first season.

I admire Drew greatly as a person and he was great for this franchise even though it wasn't always on the field. I will cheer for him to succeed with his new team, this just isn't the place for him at this time.

I will never be ashamed to wear my Bledsoe jersey. I'm glad he was a Bill. I can't say that for the person who wore number 11 before him.

Once Bledsoe was rattled in the pocket the game was over. I think back on the Sunday night games Bledsoe played in and it was just awful. You could tell how Bledsoe was going to perform in a game by the first series of downs. Rattle Bledsoe and you win the game.

Classy guy on and off the field but I won't miss him that much! :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Once Bledsoe was rattled in the pocket the game was over. I think back on the Sunday night games Bledsoe played in and it was just awful. You could tell how Bledsoe was going to perform in a game by the first series of downs. Rattle Bledsoe and you win the game.

Classy guy on and off the field but I won't miss him that much!  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

239123[/snapback]

Oh now come on Frez, he had his moments. That's more than you can say for RJ!!!!

This thread is good because it also explains why people are having such a hard time letting him go.

BF is right, some players probably did come to the Bills just because we showed we were dead nuts serious on winning by going out and getting a name like Bledsoe.

The problem is, fans now hate to see him go because he has such a "big name". I mean, 1st overall draft pick. Problem is, he is done - washed up - over the hill.

Oh now come on Frez, he had his moments.  That's more than you can say for RJ!!!!

239131[/snapback]

He was like a deer in headlights in the big games vs the tougher defenses. He's never going to change!

SEE YA!

The problem is, fans now hate to see him go because he has such a "big name". I mean, 1st overall draft pick.  Problem is, he is done - washed up - over the hill.

239136[/snapback]

I'm not really torn in that regard, his time is done here, but in general you are right, he brought respect to our team but his best days are long since behind him.