Best Defenses Ever - Some Perspective

Mark80

1985 Chicago Bears - Week 3 gave up 411 passing yards to the Minnesota Vikings.

2000 Baltimore Ravens - Week 17 gave up 473 passing yards to the New York Jets. They were playing all starters as they were still trying to win division.

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs - Week 9 gave up 173 rushing yards to the Minnesota Vikings.

2013 Seattle Seahawks - Week 4 gave up 325 yards passing and 151 yards rushing to the Texans team led by Matt Schaub.

The point is, even the best defenses get beat up sometimes and none of those teams had Brady/Belichick. A lot of you really need to chill, this is only week 2. Can't we wait until at least October before throwing in the towel?

I always look at it this way - even Serena Williams double faults!

Interesting! The Pats were SO on their game yesterday on offense I am leaving off the asterisk. For today. Their offense was jaw dropping.

All I can say is after watching yesterdays complete destruction of the Bills defense / offense. It makes me wonder if Matt / Bryce something or other gave up the Bills playbook, game plan. Sorry, I gotta wonder. if it were any other team, or any other head coach.

We will see what happens in Miami next weekend.

The NFL season when looking back on it can be filled with one week aberrations. But all those are now in the context of great defenses guiding teams to Super Bowls. The Bills only have 2 weeks to measure their defense and so far it's a mixed bag. I think it can be a good thing to get smacked early. Rex getting humbled early can be a good thing as you know this is going to stick with him and keep him and the team in general from buying into their own hype.

I will say this the Fins game is a must win if the team is a legit playoff team. Quality Division opponent at home and both teams in a pseudo must win situation. Bills coming off that horrendous loss, Fins coming off a horrible loss to the Jags at home desperately need to win, Bills need to win coming in at 1-1, playoff teams pile up wins early and often esp in their division. Bills really can't afford to go 0-2 in the division.