I propose: Bryce Brown and EJ Manuel for Zach Mettenberger

symbiant

Hopeful, your theory doesnt sustain. Teams with 2good QB's CAN'T keep them both. When their contracts are up -usually on different years, the teams are forced to make decisions on who they're going to keep, leaving the other one free to go. No team has the budget for 2 top tier QBs. So, the Have-nots inquire about the current back-up's availability to stave off bidding wars in FA.

Given the Titans investment in Mariotta, Mettenberger WILL become available. Might as well start the negotiations now. IMO.

See Drew Brees/Philip Rivers as an example of this

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopeful, your theory doesnt sustain. Teams with 2good QB's CAN'T keep them both. When their contracts are up -usually on different years, the teams are forced to make decisions on who they're going to keep, leaving the other one free to go. No team has the budget for 2 top tier QBs. So, the Have-nots inquire about the current back-up's availability to stave off bidding wars in FA.

Given the Titans investment in Mariotta, Mettenberger WILL become available. Might as well start the negotiations now. IMO.

When their contracts are up and both QB are proven "good", certainly. When is Mettenberger's contract up? 3 more years during which he's locked up for dirt-cheap?

So far neither Mariota nor Mettenberger have proven to be a "good QB" at the NFL level. If you think otherwise, please provide your data.

Mariota is a top-10 pick rookie who has looked promising in pre-season, but every GM knows the stats: about 50/50 (sometimes due to lack of adjustment, sometimes due to injury). Until he has proven himself on Sunday in the regular season, I predict Mettenberger will stay put.

Mettenberger is a 6th round draft choice who provided excellent value for his draft position last year and has a good arm, but looked at objectively he's about on the same level as Glennon and a whole bunch of other newbie QB.

The Titans have no motivation to move him unless someone offers them something really juicy, and only a desperate team is going to offer something juicy for a 0-6, 59.8% completion, 8 TD 7 INT guy.

If you think my "theory doesn't sustain", show me counter examples of teams with unproven starters who traded off cheap promising #2s (eg "decent backup"). Heck, show me examples of teams with established starters who traded off cheap promising #2s?

Edited by Hopeful

See Drew Brees/Philip Rivers as an example of this

In no way similar to this situation - unless you would like to argue that Mettenberger is analogous to Drew Brees at this point?

First off, Brees was not traded. He was a free agent coming off a year as a franchised player, and offered a substantial contract by the Chargers, but he didn't like the terms and thought he was worth more, and he found a team to agree. Second, Rivers was a #4 overall draft pick chosen because the Chargers thought Brees was a bust, who wound up sitting behind a "comeback player of the year" playoff/probowl QB. Rivers was signed under the old "pay rookies ridiculous salaries" CBA, so the Chargers had no motivation to up their offer for Brees if they thought Rivers, who had sat 2 years, was ready.

Brees/Rivers is more analogous to the Packers situation with Favre and Rodgers, although again big differences since Favre retired/unretired/wanted to come back/wouldn't play for the Packers again

I would also like to note that my comment was reframed from "established starter and decent backup" much less "unproven rookie and decent backup" to "two good QB" before it was declared to "not hold up".

But time will tell. There was a lot of speculation that a number of young QB who looked decent might be available upon their team drafting a QB high - Glennon etc. So far, not so.

Edited by Hopeful