ESPN Reports: Losman Starter in Buffalo..

AirBledsoe11

I posted this elsewhere (i.e. about the runs for losses) and someone said it was an erroneous stat.  In any case, the O-line needs to be improved a lot in run-blocking.  Too many times they failed on 3rd and 4th and short/1 for my liking.  And the difference between McGahee and Sanders is that McGahee has the power to muscle ahead when nothing's there, whereas Sanders knew he could juke and jive his way to yards a lot of times.  If the stat is true, I'd be more inclined to believe it's a function of the O-line.

236695[/snapback]

I just did a quick survey of five games and found the following:

Seattle: 28 rushes, 6 for 0 or less yards (21.4%)

Miami: 23 rushes, 5 for 0 or less yards (21.7%)

Cleveland: 27 rushes, 6 for 0 or less yards (22.2%)

Cinciy: 11 rushes, 4 for 0 or less yards (36.4%)

Pittsburgh: 18 rushes, 5 for 0 or less yards (27.8%)

Total for 5 games: 24.3% of rushes for 0 or less yards

Note that the Pittsburgh game was against the "scrubs" that everyone's bashing DB for not defeating single-handedly. Looks to me like WM had a crappy game as well.

And, since stats mean little in a vaccuum, I calculated the plays against our defense:

Seattle: (Alexander): 13 rushes, 4 for 0 or less yards (30.8%)

Miami (Minor): 20 rushes, 2 for 0 or less yards (10%)

Cincy (Johnson): 23 rushes, 2 for 0 or less yards (8.7%)

San Fran (Barlow): 15 rushes, 0 for 0 or less yards (0.0%)

Pittsburgh (Parker): 19 rushes, 5 for 0 or less yards (26.3%)

Total: 14.4% of rushes for 0 or less yards

(note that I didn't even look at Cleveland's numbers against us because they had around 2 yards of total offense and figured that would skew the stats a bit).

So, one of the best defenses in the league only managed to hit the back in the backfield 14.4% of the time, whereas our opponents are doing it 24.3% of the time. Also, one of those games was against "backup scrubs that DB couldn't beat," and of the other four, only one was a playoff team.

I think it's easy to see that McGahee has way more than his fair share of rushes for 0 or less yards, especially considering we had one of the best defenses in the league and even Travis Minor was only hit behind the line 10% of the time. Against Pittsburgh (you know, the team with scrubs in), he was hit behind the line 27% of the time; try to tell me that's not the OL.

CW

Nice job Fez gathering those stats. But a Bledsoe basher can easily explain them away. If the opposing defenses are not afraid of the QB and the passing game, then they can run blitz more often, thus accounting for the run game numbers you mentioned....

Nice job Fez gathering those stats. But a Bledsoe basher can easily explain them away. If the opposing defenses are not afraid of the QB and the passing game, then they can run blitz more often, thus accounting for the run game numbers you mentioned....

Well then, if they're not afraid of the QB and the passing game, they should OVERALL blitz more, and get more QB sacks. Bledsoe was sacked 1.6 times a game when McGahee was starting, which as I've said, works out to 26 sacks for the season, which is what Tom Brady took.

i just hope your excuses don't stop when JP or anyone else is the QB of the bills...  I'm going to remember that its never the QB's fault when drew was here.  To keep your credibility here, you sure better keep those same excuses when drew leaves. 

As for the running game, we had a guy who was a GIMP running for over 1000 yards.  Sure, he's a top 3 RB, which covered for his 85% leg, but truth be told, he still was a GIMP this year.  Willis and the running game are top notch, and the line did open holes for him.  trust me, its anything but the running game.  That's one of the major strengths of this team.

236655[/snapback]

Did you ever see willis run up the middle of the offensive line. Willis Mcghaee created his on yards. His numbers will climb with a much improved offensive line.

236738[/snapback]

You answered your own beef !

You answered your own beef !

236796[/snapback]

You responded to that, but why not the counter-argument?

Well then, if they're not afraid of the QB and the passing game, they should OVERALL blitz more, and get more QB sacks. Bledsoe was sacked 1.6 times a game when McGahee was starting, which as I've said, works out to 26 sacks for the season, which is what Tom Brady took.

CW

I think Drew is going to walk. No way at his age do you delegate to a backup role. While he's no where near being a top QB in this league he's a lot better than the QB's some teams are putting on the field.

I'm wishy washy on whether he should go or stay. Everyone seems to say "We've seen what he's done" but honestly could it be the coaching staff that was put around him prior to this year? This was the first winning season he had in Buffalo and let's face it he didn't exactly have the best coaches to work with. But, with that being said, now that he has better coaches perhaps they've seen something promising in JP to make this step.

The one thing I know is that TD is a marketing genius. The guy will manage to get us excited for the next year even if going in we really look like we are going to suck. And odds are if we start a rookie QB we aren't going to have a real good campaign in 2005.

Say what you want about Big Ben, but look at the aggregate results of rookie QB's starting.

I think Drew is going to walk. No way at his age do you delegate to a backup role. While he's no where near being a top QB in this league he's a lot better than the QB's some teams are putting on the field.

I'm wishy washy on whether he should go or stay. Everyone seems to say "We've seen what he's done" but honestly could it be the coaching staff that was put around him prior to this year? This was the first winning season he had in Buffalo and let's face it he didn't exactly have the best coaches to work with. But, with that being said, now that he has better coaches perhaps they've seen something promising in JP to make this step.

The one thing I know is that TD is a marketing genius. The guy will manage to get us excited for the next year even if going in we really look like we are going to suck. And odds are if we start a rookie QB we aren't going to have a real good campaign in 2005.

Say what you want about Big Ben, but look at the aggregate results of rookie QB's starting.

236858[/snapback]

Good Point abut the marketing genius. Did anyone notice the talk about JP being handed the starting job is coming out the same time as the season ticket re-ups.

Could it be a marketing tool.

The old bate ans switch.

JP will be named the starter until training camp where they will say he's not ready, they are going with bledsoe.

Wait just a minute.

What's all this Drew Blesdoe crap?

My guy is Jack Kemp.

He's the starter and will remain the starter until he's ready to step down.

Don't go bringing in some 'Johnny-Come-Lately' pretty-boy into the equation.

Stick with Kemp.

He's a proven winner.

Well all the pro DB'rs BS is going to be moot because the load is on his way out. People who get paid big money and better football minds than all of us have made the decision. The real proof will be how many teams go scrambling for Drew when he is released. Or how many teams bid for his services via trade. Im willing to bet that the lineup for him will be a little on the short side. As it should be for a journeyman half assed qb.