Will JP be the first in a long time?

Well I'm simply amazed as the streak continues.

I thought for sure with Manning and McNabb in the Championship games last year and even moreso this year with 3/4 of the QBs being candidates, that the streak would b broken.

However, once again going way back to Dallas' selection of Troy Aikman in 1989 no team has been rewarded with a Super Bowl victory by a QB they drafted in the 1st round. Once again, Tom Brady, allowed NE a win led by a guy they found in the 6th round.

Oh well, this was a far better year for 1st round QB picks by a team since McNabb finally at least delivered an SB berth to a team which picked that Q in the first and this was the first time this had happened since McNair led TN to a berth and near win in 1999.

However, in the intervening half decade QB's acquired in a number of other ways such as UDFAs (Delhomme for example), late round draft picks (Brady for example), rejects from other teams including former first rounders (two-time reject Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer) and even boxboys from Wal-Mart (Kurt Warner) had led teams to the SB.

Ironically when one considers the championship killing cap hits of great QBs like Manning and their failure to reach every player's ultimate goal, SBs seem to be routinely won in these salary cap driven days by players such as Warner, Dilfer and Brady who were paid at or about at the NFL minimum the year's they won their first SBs.

I was really rooting for McNabb to finally end the drought because I figured that JP will have enough weight on his shoulders should the media ever tune into the fact that drafting a QB in the first round seems to be a virtual gurantee that this QB will never get your team an SB ring. I was willing to declare this the year of the 1st round QB pick because of their record in leading the teams which drafted them to the playoffs. Though they constituted 75% of the playoff teams this year, usually for the in the salary cap age only about 25% of the teams (it was 25% last year as only Manning, McNabb and McNair qualified) are actually led by 1st round choices picked by that team.

We'll see next year whether this number was a simple abberration or some new trend. At any rate it is still the case that if you want to win an SB drafting a QB in the 1st round simply will not get it for you.

Better luck next year!

JP won't make the PB if he starts all 16 games or take us to the SB! That's asking too much from a rookie.

I just hope he learns quickly and does something special for us in the near future.

P.S., I'm a realist.

The Easter Bunny is dead.

Well I'm simply amazed as the streak continues.

I thought for sure with Manning and McNabb in the Championship games last year and even moreso this year with 3/4 of the QBs being candidates, that the streak would b broken.

Better luck next year!

230537[/snapback]

FFS - It has been bothering me that there does not seem to be a single QB who can be smarter than BB who jukes every QB. I mean, does every QB in a big game against NE go in with the slinking suspicion that BB is going to scr*w him ? Does that opposing QB lose before he starts the game ? Is it BB always or has he managed to get into everyone's collective heads that he is a genius so now the opposing QBs play to fulfil that prophecy ?

Anyway, the point is that there must be some nemesis to BB that emerges and continually foils his plans in the big games. I remember someone 'reading BB's lips' during a preseason game (?) about JP that 'we have a player on our hands'. If my memory is correct and it was BB, then I certainly hope that JP is that nemesis.

For those on this board, JP is now not a rookie QB. He will be in his second year - duh ! Before we start fantasizing though, remember that JP has to prove a strong work ethic. No amount of brilliance will compensate for the lack of hard work and dedication. Think Jeff George ...

So, I hope JP has the ethic to go with his supposed talent. I say supposed because he hasn't proven anything yet but will have plenty of opportunity in the upcoming pre season.

Let us see ....

FFS - It has been bothering me that there does not seem to be a single QB who can be smarter than BB who jukes every QB. I mean, does every QB in a big game against NE go in with the slinking suspicion that BB is going to scr*w him ? Does that opposing QB lose before he starts the game ?

230793[/snapback]

I think the key here is that the reason the Pats have done so well is that they are a TEAM. Brady is an important cog in the machine, but he is just a cog and be it Troy Brown stepping over from the O to fill the injury caused gap among their DBs, be it any of the players who have stepped up to help them deal with a plethora of injuries the past two years, or even if its the whole team stepping p after BB butchered the Milloy situation, they in the end watch each other's backs and someone steps up.

I think opposing QBs and teams need to get this and not simply rely in one player, be it McNabb, Manning or whomever to beat NE and get them to the promised land.

NE will get beat when a TEAM beats them and not by one person at QB.

FFS - It has been bothering me that there does not seem to be a single QB who can be smarter than BB who jukes every QB. I mean, does every QB in a big game against NE go in with the slinking suspicion that BB is going to scr*w him ? Does that opposing QB lose before he starts the game ? Is it BB always or has he managed to get into everyone's collective heads that he is a genius so now the opposing QBs play to fulfil that prophecy ?

Anyway, the point is that there must be some nemesis to BB that emerges and continually foils his plans in the big games. I  remember someone 'reading BB's lips' during a preseason game (?) about JP that 'we have a player on our hands'. If my memory is correct and it was BB, then I certainly hope that JP is that nemesis.

For those on this board, JP is now not a rookie QB. He will be in his second year - duh ! Before we start fantasizing though, remember that JP has to prove a strong work ethic. No amount of brilliance will compensate for the lack of hard work and dedication. Think Jeff George ...

So, I hope JP has the ethic to go with his supposed talent. I say supposed because he hasn't proven anything yet but will have plenty of opportunity in the upcoming pre season.

Let us see ....

230793[/snapback]

I think teams have to just run the ball to really beat BB. Whenever you start throwing the ball, you open yourself up to the possibility of an interception.