Sammy Watkins vs Jerry Butler

negativo

Sammy Watkins vs Jerry Butler  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better pick?

• Sammy Watkins
    • Jerry Butler
    • Too early to tell
    • I'm not telling, so nanny-nanny boo-boo.

Not being sarcastic on this one. Butler was the #5 pick out of Clemson in 1979, was voted Rookie of the Year and then voted to the Pro Bowl in 1980. A catastrophic knee injury in 1983 prematurely cut short his career, though he did recover enough to have one more productive season in 1985 before retiring in 1986 after shattering his ankle.

Too early to tell what will happen with Sammy, but the Butler comparison is a fair one. Stats-for-stats comparisons are useless in this scenario, as the passing numbers of his era were grossly different than today. We obviously hope for a longer career, and have no way of knowing whether that will happen, but I think the jury is still out on this choice.

Watkins didn't have a rookie-of-the-year campaign like Butler, and unlike Butler wasn't even close to being the top rookie WR in his draft class, but he did perform well enough that there is room for optimism he could become a productive #1 receiver with a couple pro bowls should things fall into place.

If you asked me whether I would trade careers...Sammy's for Jerry's...the answer would have to be no. I would take my chances that Sammy has a longer career of productivity than Jerry had.

The one wild card: Buffalo did not have to trade away their top pick the next season to move up for Butler. That makes this decision a bit tougher.