Keyboard question

Beerball

I've given this way too much thought and time looking into because it's bugging the !@#$ out of me.

I can't make sense of it; nor can I find any historical information that makes sense of it.

These are the following ways to separate or end written thoughts - period, comma, colon, semi-colon, dash, exclamation point, question mark.

One needs to shift in order to use a semi-colon, exclamation point or question mark.

Comma, period, colon, semi-colon and question mark are all in the same area - at the bottom right.

Exclamation point is top left; Dash is top right - which I can understand because it's commonly used with digits.

But none of the rest makes no !@#$ing sense.

Here's the history of the QWERTY keyboard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY

Most interesting fact (to me): For a long time, there was no 1 and no zero. Typists would use a lowercase L and O for those digits. The 1/! key wasn't added to most typewriters until the 1970s.

Now ... I am !@#$ing done with this topic because it's disturbingly frustrating.

Edited by Gugny

Does anyone actually have experience with a Dvorak keyboard? I'd like to learn. I work as a case manager in school so my keyboard is my job.

Yes, I made the switch many years ago after reading that QWERTY was designed to slow down typing. I hate crap like that...sticking to a tradition even thought that tradition is clearly inferior. What the hell is ';' doing on the 'home row'???

Whenever I am unsure of my decision to switch, all I need to do is start typing on someone else's keyboard. I feel my fingers stretching further and general discomfort when I do that.

Interesting things about Dvorak:

1) It really annoys other people when they borrow your computer for a minute. Of course they can't type on it, so they have to switch the OS over to qwerty. And if you physically switch your keys over to Dvorak as I have, it can be pretty funny. Don't look down!

2) I work in IT, so I am often other people's computers. Then I am stuck in qwerty mode for a minute. It took me quite a while to be able to switch back and forth from qwerty and dvorak smoothly...I am finally bilingual (bitypual?). Now I find myself commiting cross-keyboard typing errors (not that much, but sometimes).

3) Even IT guys think it is nerdy.