[OT] Pre-bake wings?

SDS

In all seriousness, it seems that fresh wings cook much better than frozen.

I'm a wing conisseur! Not like you fitness freaks in the Sarama household :lol:

230944[/snapback]

My local grocery store didn't have any fresh ones that looked good, and I had too much to do to go store hopping.... Beef on weck was our main dish anyway.... The individually frozen Tyson wings were pretty good and easy to work with.

My local grocery store didn't have any fresh ones that looked good, and I had too much to do to go store hopping....  Beef on weck was our main dish anyway....  The individually frozen Tyson wings were pretty good and easy to work with.

230955[/snapback]

Where'd you get the weck rolls?

Where'd you get the weck rolls?

230956[/snapback]

called Weis and they made them for me on Sunday.

The buttholes at my local Giant said it was too much trouble to go to aisle 5 for the salt/caraway seeds. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

called Weis and they made them for me on Sunday. 

The buttholes at my local Giant said it was too much trouble to go to aisle 5 for the salt/caraway seeds.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

230960[/snapback]

Are you serious? Weis Markets made them for you?

Wegman's won't even make them for me!

Are you serious? Weis Markets made them for you?

Wegman's won't even make them for me!

230964[/snapback]

that's absurd. Like it is so hard to sprinkle X on a roll rather than Y just before you bake them....

I've had 2 separate Weis stores do this for me and never a single hassle.

that's absurd.  Like it is so hard to sprinkle X on a roll rather than Y just before you bake them....

I've had 2 separate Weis stores do this for me and never a single hassle.

230972[/snapback]

WTF, Wegmans doesn't do this anymore? I used to work in the Penfield Wegmans' bakery during high school and I always had to make weck rolls.

errrr.... did you read what I wrote?  I said I was going to crisp them in the fryer.  :blink:

and they turned out great....

230736[/snapback]

The only advantage to baking wings is that there's less mess to clean up and no chicken fry oil smell if you happen to do it indoors.

What I don't understand is if you're going to all the trouble that goes along with frying, why not go all the way with it - why bother with the baking process at all?

The only reason I can think of is maybe you had so many wings that you wanted only a couple minutes of frying time per batch so you wouldn't have to spend 2 hours doing multiple batches.

When home frying becomes a hassle, I sometimes get the local grocery store (where I buy the wings) to do the frying for me. You have to time it until shortly before the gathering so they're as fresh as possible. They can be kept naked in a warming oven for a while, and when it's time to serve, that's when you want to dress them with sauce, otherwise they lose their crispness.

It's a little more pricey, but if you have a local pizza & wing joint that just doesn't make your favorite recipe wings, have them fry 'em up and be sure to ask them to keep them neked. Take them home, and make them the Buffalo way. There are a lot of Asians masquerading as pizzeria owners around here, and they all refuse to stick to a basic Buffalo chicken wing recipe. They always have to add their crappy little asian spices.

Rots of Ruck.