Going to a Job Fair in VA

Stussy109

I'm going to be a certified school counselor in a few months.  Going 3/5 to an education recruitment fair.  Any areas to really try to  move to, and any areas to definitely stay away from?  Any advice is appreciated

227368[/snapback]

Depends on what you are looking for....housing market in Northern and Central VA has gone through the roof in the past couple years, the saving grace is real estate taxes are relatively low compared to national averages.

I'm looking for a good area, nice restaurants, nice gym, movies, mall, sports, homes i could afford etc... 300k home is out of my league

227385[/snapback]

Definitely want to stay away from Northern VA - Arlington, Fairfax, Loudon, and Prince William. You can still find "reasonably" affordable housing in Fredericksburg / Spotsylvania, however you are still looking at 200 plus for a modest home. Thousands of people make the trek to Northern VA on a daily basis for work from this area. Of course all this depends on how far you are willing to commute for your job, so there is a trade off. PM if you want more info.

i like the richmond area if that helps, nice location, decent weather for the most part, close enough to lots of places, yet far enough from others

I'm going to be a certified school counselor in a few months.  Going 3/5 to an education recruitment fair.  Any areas to really try to  move to, and any areas to definitely stay away from?  Any advice is appreciated

227368[/snapback]

227368[/snapback]

I don't know where you are now but VA salaries for the education profession are very poor. That's why they recruit so heavily...most good educators have gone to other areas. A good friend of mine here in central Va was the head of the school guidance dept. for 8 years and just last year his salary hit 40K. Yikes... and the price of housing is high... The counties and cities have special programs starting in the area trying to make housing affordable for city workers such as policemen, firemen & teachers etc. because those folks can't afford to live in the towns they work in and are moving away. So, when you interview, I advise you to check the payscale and have discussions with local realtor. But hey, the weather is great and there are several Bills fans in the area and they don't black out the Bills on DirecTV here !! :doh:

Housing in the Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach/Norfolk) area has really gone through the roof recently. Unfortunately salaries haven't kept up. If you get a good enough offer on salary it could be a good area to live, but you'll have to shop around for affordable housing. Richmond is nice as well, but I think the ocean gives Hampton Roads the edge in my mind and the real estate prices up there aren't any better. My advice would be to stay away from Northern Virginia.

You can still find affordable housing in the hampton roads area. It is probably the best place in virginia to live (other than nova, but it is $$$$).

Virginia beach is expensive, but you can find some really affordable housing in portsmouth suffolk and even norfolk and chesapeake. People knock portsmouth for being the ghetto and suffolk for being in the boonies, but neither is really true anymore. A really nice house will still cost you 200-250, but you can find something more than adequate for 150-200. Just dont get tricked into this arm thing...sounds great now, but many people wont be able to afford it in a few years.

I don't know where you are now but VA salaries for the education profession are very poor. That's why they recruit so heavily...most good educators have gone to other areas. A good friend of mine here in central Va was the head of the school guidance dept. for 8 years and just last year his salary hit 40K. Yikes... and the price of housing is high... The counties and cities have special programs starting in the area trying to make housing affordable for city workers such as policemen, firemen & teachers etc. because those folks can't afford to live in the towns they work in and are moving away. So, when you interview, I advise you to check the payscale and have discussions with local realtor. But hey, the weather is great and there are several Bills fans in the area and they don't black out the Bills on DirecTV here !! :(

227420[/snapback]

So not true. Virginia teacher salaries are on a county by county basis. While some areas, southern VA and western VA underpay, the counties north of Richmond have to be more competative. Now it is a little more expensive to live the fursther north you go, however as has been mentioned places like Spotsylvania, Caroline, Stafford are at the souther edge Northern VA. They have relatively affordable housing and a town home in Spotsy can be had for 160K. Rents for appartments can be fairly inexpensive as well. Teacher salary in Stafford with just a Bachalors is just under 40K and is the best paying county probably in VA right now. Unless you can get a job at the Governer Schools or Thomas Jefferson in Fairfax which have much higher (experienced teacher over 100K) salaries.

Right now Stafford has a new High School opening next year, along with 2 other elementary schools. They are highering quite a few teachers.

Anyone have advice for someone (me) considering a move from NoVa to Newport News?

227953[/snapback]

Coming from NOVA you would be in for a real culture shock. Not alot of resturaunts etc. Although I will say the recent development here has been positive as they have totaly eliminated sprawl. The two newest neighborhoods have six new restaraunts/bars between them. Also it's only about 25 min. to downtown Norfolk, but those are the only positives I have to say about this place.