Week 11 Film Review: Orton Unforced Errors

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did / How Kyle did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 41 snaps ( last game against Chiefs was 47.. game plan was fairly balanced up until 4th quarter trying to play comeback.. )

LINE BREAKDOWNS - 8 snaps or 20 % of pass plays ( defined as - O-Line clearly messed up and Kyle did not have a moment to throw after hitting the last step of his drop.. last week was 9% so pass protect was worse than last week)

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 33 snaps or 80 % of pass plays ( defined as O-Line did sufficient job and Kyle hit the last step of his drop and had a moment to throw).

UNFORCED KYLE ERRORS: - 9 snaps or 22% of pass plays where he had time ( unforced error defined as Kyle having time and having unforced accuracy issues/ or taking bad sacks... last week it was 5 snaps or 11%. Definitely his worst game so far relating to unforced errors)

Bottom Line:

The tape verified the perception that this was Orton's worst game yet as a Bill. The O Line and Orton were fairly efficient and productive up until the end of the 3Q. Q4 was a disaster. Miami blitzed heavily at the end of the game and neither the O Line or Orton handled it well. Orton missed on several throws where he had a clean pockets. The most disturbing thing was his shying away from taking a hit this game. In the past few games Orton showed the toughness to stand and deliver accurately knowing he'd take a hit. There were several instances where he missed on throws because he wasn't willing to take the hit and deliver.

__________ __________

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1 - Orton hesitates.. unforced bad throw misses Sammy

Q1 - Chandler drop on good pass

Q1 - Unforced error - Red Zone pass to Mike Williams telegraphed and almost picked off

Q3 - Intentional Grounding – O Line breakdown – awful call by refs

Q3 - Unforced error, almost intercepted.. plenty of time.. bad decision by Orton trying to squeeze in to Hogan

Q4 - Unforced error , has time..slightly overthrows wide open Sammy down sideline deep … this one hurt.. our best chance at comeback just missed

Q4- Unforced error, off target to Woods.. had time

Q4- Sack, good coverage by Miami

Q4 - O line breakdown – Wake beats Henderson.. Orton forced to throw early

Q4 - Wood misses stunt – Orton has to throw it away

Q4 - unforced dump down to Brown – Chandler open

Q4 - Sack - total line breakdown

Q4 - unforced error - Hail Mary thrown out of bounds

SUMMARY - Orton was very solid/efficient in the first half .. but was definitely subpar for the 4th quarter. Since he has very little mobility .. he needs to be able to stand in and take hits to deliver accurately. He did this in Detroit and Minnesota..sacrificing his body to make a completion.. but this week against Miami he just didn't have the stones to step up, stand in there and deliver with a guy in his face. Hopefully Orton gets his stones back sooner rather than later. Orton's game is predicated on sitting in the pocket, taking the big hit and delivering... if he doesn't get back to that in the next few games then it will be interesting to see if EJ comes back in. That is what I will be looking for from Orton the next few weeks.. toughness.. hopefully we'll see it come back.

Edited by Bocephuz

No word on Orton's missed deep pass to Sammy with the Bills down 19-9 among your plays of note. That could have put them right back in the game. Killer miss by KO.

Nevermind, I see it. :thumbsup:

That was definitely a killer... that should have been 6 and would have really given us a chance. It wasn't an awful throw.. he overthrew him by about a yard. Nevertheless, he missed on that one so that's on Orton.

thanks, I think that was what I saw too, bad day for Kyle, got rattled. Very bad timing to have a bad day and maybe the Chefs loss took something out of him? I do know (and did from the beginning) that he has these type games at times.

It again was just too bad for the timing of it.

Actually, not all incompletions are misses/bad throws. some are throwing balls away.....usually on shorter passes its easier to detect...on long passes it just looks like a miss. I don't know how to account for that in your analysis. Anyhow, I certainly saw some of those, and you did not mention those in the stats, therefore I intrepret you counted those as missed throw. the were missed, but on purpose.....that said, it was certainly not Orton's best game. So, I don't object to the overall conclusion. But, we know he is not Andrew Luck or tom Brady.....its just that he is so much better than EJ he is who the Bilss should play now.

Actually, not all incompletions are misses/bad throws. some are throwing balls away.....usually on shorter passes its easier to detect...on long passes it just looks like a miss. I don't know how to account for that in your analysis. Anyhow, I certainly saw some of those, and you did not mention those in the stats, therefore I intrepret you counted those as missed throw. the were missed, but on purpose.....that said, it was certainly not Orton's best game. So, I don't object to the overall conclusion. But, we know he is not Andrew Luck or tom Brady.....its just that he is so much better than EJ he is who the Bilss should play now.

He had some legitimate throwaways due to pressure... however.. there were a couple of " throwaways" that didn't need to be throwaways... IE.. he could have stood in there.. taken the hit .. and accurately delivered to an open receiver.

I agree it's too early to pull the plug on Orton. However.. if he keeps shying away from hits the next couple of games and has similar results then at that point we should probably see what we have in EJ.

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did / How Kyle did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 41 snaps ( last game against Chiefs was 47.. game plan was fairly balanced up until 4th quarter trying to play comeback.. )

LINE BREAKDOWNS - 8 snaps or 20 % of pass plays ( defined as - O-Line clearly messed up and Kyle did not have a moment to throw after hitting the last step of his drop.. last week was 9% so pass protect was worse than last week)

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 33 snaps or 80 % of pass plays ( defined as O-Line did sufficient job and Kyle hit the last step of his drop and had a moment to throw).

UNFORCED KYLE ERRORS: - 9 snaps or 22% of pass plays where he had time ( unforced error defined as Kyle having time and having unforced accuracy issues/ or taking bad sacks... last week it was 5 snaps or 11%. Definitely his worst game so far relating to unforced errors)

Bottom Line:

The tape verified the perception that this was Orton's worst game yet as a Bill. The O Line and Orton were fairly efficient and productive up until the end of the 3Q. Q4 was a disaster. Miami blitzed heavily at the end of the game and neither the O Line or Orton handled it well. Orton missed on several throws where he had a clean pockets. The most disturbing thing was his shying away from taking a hit this game. In the past few games Orton showed the toughness to stand and deliver accurately knowing he'd take a hit. There were several instances where he missed on throws because he wasn't willing to take the hit and deliver.

__________ __________

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1 - Orton hesitates.. unforced bad throw misses Sammy

Q1 - Chandler drop on good pass

Q1 - Unforced error - Red Zone pass to Mike Williams telegraphed and almost picked off

Q3 - Intentional Grounding – O Line breakdown – awful call by refs

Q3 - Unforced error, almost intercepted.. plenty of time.. bad decision by Orton trying to squeeze in to Hogan

Q4 - Unforced error , has time..slightly overthrows wide open Sammy down sideline deep … this one hurt.. our best chance at comeback just missed

Q4- Unforced error, off target to Woods.. had time

Q4- Sack, good coverage by Miami

Q4 - O line breakdown – Wake beats Henderson.. Orton forced to throw early

Q4 - Wood misses stunt – Orton has to throw it away

Q4 - unforced dump down to Brown – Chandler open

Q4 - Sack - total line breakdown

Q4 - unforced error - Hail Mary thrown out of bounds

SUMMARY - Orton was very solid/efficient in the first half .. but was definitely subpar for the 4th quarter. Since he has very little mobility .. he needs to be able to stand in and take hits to deliver accurately. He did this in Detroit and Minnesota..sacrificing his body to make a completion.. but this week against Miami he just didn't have the stones to step up, stand in there and deliver with a guy in his face. Hopefully Orton gets his stones back sooner rather than later. Orton's game is predicated on sitting in the pocket, taking the big hit and delivering... if he doesn't get back to that in the next few games then it will be interesting to see if EJ comes back in. That is what I will be looking for from Orton the next few weeks.. toughness.. hopefully we'll see it come back.

I kind of got the feeling that he was intentionally throwing the ball away in some of those situations, rather than taking the hit or sack. I was thinking maybe the coaches had spoken to him about taking too many sacks.

I kind of got the feeling that he was intentionally throwing the ball away in some of those situations, rather than taking the hit or sack. I was thinking maybe the coaches had spoken to him about taking too many sacks.

It's a fine line on some of those plays. On one hand I'm sure the coaches got on him for trying to do too much while under pressure and fumbling like he did in his first few games..and clearly he's listened and put it into action... but on the other side of the coin ...there are some opportunities where it seems like he's bailing a hair too early.

Edited by Bocephuz

Orton has had one good game. The Bills are giving up on devloping their first round QB for a career 0.500 guy. Orton has shown he is not the answer. He has no athletic ability and he does not have the arm stength or accuracy to compensate for his lack of athletic ability.

Time to go back to EJ.

Marrone is killing his career with his handling of the QB's. If he plays EJ at least he can say we are still developing this kid. If he loses with Orton and this crap offenisve line, it is all on him and Hackett.

Just watching some of the Bills-Dolphins TNF All-22 Film where I noticed Orton has a horrible habit of staring down receivers. That's exactly why he almost threw a pick six to Delmas. He doesn't seem to manipulate coverage with his eyes at all with his preferred method instead being the pump fake.