Time to Repeat an Oldie

The Dean

Color me impressed and a bit flummoxed. Thanks for the great clip of two sets of fantastic pipes in a cross cultural collision that's rarely seen.

Wifey and I went to Sydney earlier this year. I took a tour of the Opera House and one of the stories the docent told was of a fete they threw in honor of Pavarotti in the large room at the end one of the wings of the building. Pavarotti showed up late and refused to enter the room because it was decorated in purple. He was extremely superstitious and since a little boy, he equated purple with death. He refused all entreaties to get him to enter the room.

Well, he was the guest of honor, so the Aussies did what proper polite hosts would do. They moved the entire party - tables, chairs, food, drinks, etc. to the end room on the other sing of the building - which was decorated in red. Onliest thing is there are no elevators in the building. So they had to schlep all the stuff down two flights of stairs, over to the other side of the building and the. Back up two flights of steps and then set up the party again.

Pavarotti did enter that room and the party went on... About three hours late.

The purple floods in the video give me pause regarding the veracity of the docent's story. It's a nice yarn though, regardless.

Thanks again for the clip The Dean, and thanks for returning to TBD.

Edited by Nanker

Color me impressed and a bit flummoxed. Thanks for the great clip of two sets of fantastic pipes in a cross cultural collision that's rarely seen.

Wifey and I went to Sydney earlier this year. I took a tour of the Opera House and one of the stories the docent told was of a fete they threw in honor of Pavarotti in the large room at the end one of the wings of the building. Pavarotti showed up late and refused to enter the room because it was decorated in purple. He was extremely superstitious and since a little boy, he equated purple with death. He refused all entreaties to get him to enter the room.

Well, he was the guest of honor, so the Aussies did what proper polite hosts would do. They moved the entire party - tables, chairs, food, drinks, etc. to the end room on the other sing of the building - which was decorated in red. Onliest thing is there are no elevators in the building. So they had to schlep all the stuff down two flights of stairs, over to the other side of the building and the. Back up two flights of steps and then set up the party again.

Pavarotti did enter that room and the party went on... About three hours late.

The purple floods in the video give me pause regarding the veracity of the docent's story. It's a nice yarn though, regardless.

Thanks again for the clip The Dean, and thanks for returning to TBD.

Thanks, Nank. Great story. Some of the greatest talents are also the strangest.

Good stuff but I had to stop watching. It was making me dizzy. Why do they feel it necessary to change the camera shot every 1-2 seconds?

I don't know what it is about concert direction. This stuff is rehearsed well in advance and the shots should be plotted then, too. I can understand the bad decisions by fan-recorded concert video (though those also can drive me crazy, too) but not from professionals.

Made me YouTube Hotpants. Is that also a 2BD tradition?

With Pavarotti? That I got to see---or rather avoid if he is wearing them.