Thoughts on our free agents

Ray

Just some thoughts on our guys. Since it is always better to keep your own just a few ideas. Sign Pat Williams first. He wants to be here so getting a deal should not be too difficult. Could probably sign him for a cap figure of around 3M--reasonable for a DL valuable to this team.

Sign JJ if you can sign him for a cap figure of around 4M or a bit more. LT are difficult to find and overall he has performed well. He has handled DEs like Abraham rather well. When he was healthy against Abraham he never even got a sniff of Bledsoe. His one poor game was against the Jets when he should not have been playing b/c of his concussion.

Sign Clements--I am worried he may go if left unsigned too long. You know some team will pay him 7-8M/year. I think the Bills could sign him for a 9-10M signing bonus and then giving him a high salary for the non-capped year. I believe it is '07 there is no salary cap. The fact Clements likes Buffalo and likes the team helps.

I guess one big question is do the Bills/Ralph become willing to spend a bit more cash during the uncapped year of '07. We should be in good cap shape especially if Losman plays reasonably well and is our QB. His cap figure for the next 4 years would be quite manageable.

07 is un capped?? i dout it will stay that way for the next 3 years....

i think:

1) wait till clements contract is up, then pay him what he deserves.

2) sign Pat. agreed

3) let JJ go, cus hes WAY OVER RATED BY BILLS FANS, and not worth what he will be asking.

4) sign a big name OT in FA. costs a F'n lot, but worth it.

1. PW should cost no more than $2.5 million, since he's almost 32 years old now.

2. JJ should cost no more than $4.5 million, since he's largely unheard of outside Buffalo.

3. The salary cap WILL be extended through 2007. Only a small handful of owners want to get rid of it (Jerry Jones, Snyder, etc...), and why change something that's working? With the cap, the NFL has become the most popular sports league in the US. Without a cap, the NFL could risk becoming the MLB or NHL, two leagues in obvious decline.

4. Grab a new LG, TE, K, slot WR, backup RB if Henry leaves, backup QB if Bledsoe leaves, and we're good to go!

5. Definitely extend Clements. Plus Terrence McGee while we're at it (he's an RFA in 2005)

07 is un capped?? i dout it will stay that way for the next 3 years....

i think:

1) wait till clements contract is up, then pay him what he deserves.

2) sign Pat. agreed

3) let JJ go, cus hes WAY OVER RATED BY BILLS FANS, and not worth what he will be asking.

4) sign a big name OT in FA. costs a F'n lot, but worth it.

224044[/snapback]

Agree 100%. I think TD has his sights on Walter Jones. He's forcing Bledsoe to take a cut or hit the road, having Moulds restructure, this does not sound like they are wanting the subsequent salary cap room to sign an overated and always hurt Jonas Jennings. As you said, they cost a lot but probowl OTs are worth it.

The Bills will allow Jonas Jennings to test the free agent market. It is very possible that there will be a number of very good left tackles available. Seattle can only franchise one of their big three (Hasselback, Alexander, Jones), so Walter Jones might be available. There is some speculation that St Louis will not franchise Orlando Price this year. Which of Philadelphia's two major free agents Cory Simon and Tra Thomas will they decide to franchise? Thomas could be available.

Then there are a number of second-tier free agents who could become available (I would put Jennings in this catagory): Kareem McKenzie (Jets), Barrett Brooks (Steelers), Adrian Klemm (Patriots), Stockard McDougle (Lions), Victor Riley (Saints) and Ryam Diem (Colts) come to mind.

The point is the Bills do not have to overpay Jennings. They have plenty of options to replace him if they can't come to an agreement. They will offer him a reasonable second-tier contract and let him try to do better in free agency. It is unlikely that Atlanta will offer him a big contract since they are currently about $14 million OVER the expected 2005 cap.

It looks like a buyers market to me

WTF? Can someone else (clumping platelets?) elaborate on this?

224398[/snapback]

Here is the link to the CBA, but too much legal mumbo jumbo for me. I have to believe that this doesn't mean that it is a "spend any amount you want" year in 2007. I don't ever remember this in past CBA's?

http://www.nflpa.org/members/main.asp?subP...+Complete#art24

My feeling is this....

First....Pat Williams wants to be here....so as long as he is willing to show that in his contract negotiations.....he stays

Second....Jennings has talked about leaving. Now..I think Jennings is a much better player then a lot give him credit for, BUT, I also place an importance on wanting to be here. If his price tag goes up to high....nice knowing ya Jennings. Sign a quality Free Agent LT even if you have to pay a little more

I truly beleive that TE is a area of importance for this season.....

I agree we shouldn't overpay for Jennings. I'd also be in favor of cutting Moulds, and replacing him with one of the possession WRs that are expected to be available in free agency. Because we'll likely be going with a new starter next year, the time to change WRs is now or never. Moulds drops too many passes; and he averages less than 12 yards per catch. This combination makes him a drive-killer, no matter who the QB is. Besides all this, swapping Moulds for some other WR would free up cap space.

We should also extend Clements if he'll agree to do it for a reasonable salary. We should use the cap space from Moulds to sign Jennings or some other LT, as well as a TE.