Kerry's response to Republican Convention

Taken from Kerry's speech to be made at midnight 9/3/04

Excerpts of John Kerry's Upcoming Remarks

The election comes down to this. If you believe this country is heading in the right direction, you should support George Bush. But if you believe America needs to move in a new direction, join with us. John and I offer a better plan that will make us stronger at home and more respected in the world. And we need your help to do that.

For three days in New York, instead of talking about jobs and the economy, we heard anger and insults from the Republicans. And I'll tell you why. It's because they can't talk about the real issues facing Americans. They can't talk about their record because it's a record of failure.

We all saw the anger and distortion of the Republican Convention. For the past week, they attacked my patriotism and my fitness to serve as commander in chief. Well, here's my answer. I'm not going to have my commitment to defend this country questioned by those who refused to serve when they could have and by those who have misled the nation into Iraq.

The vice president even called me unfit for office last night. I guess I'll leave it up to the voters whether five deferments makes someone more qualified to defend this nation than two tours of duty.

Let me tell you what I think makes someone unfit for duty. Misleading our nation into war in Iraq makes you unfit to lead this nation. Doing nothing while this nation loses millions of jobs makes you unfit to lead this nation. Letting 45 million Americans go without health care makes you unfit to lead this nation. Letting the Saudi royal family control our energy costs makes you unfit to lead this nation. Handing out billions of government contracts to Halliburton while you're still on their payroll makes you unfit. That's the record of George Bush and Dick Cheney. And it's not going to change. I believe it's time to move America in a new direction; I believe it's time to set a new course for America.

And we have a specific plan to do just that. So tomorrow morning, John and Elizabeth and Teresa and I are hitting the road across America's heartland. From here, we'll go out and talk with Americans in towns across Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan. And because a stronger America begins at home, we'll talk about our plan to create jobs, cut taxes for the middle class, lower health care costs, and make America safer and more secure.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's screwed.

The simple fact that he needed to get some press time before a long weekend let's you know...he's screwed.

Nevermind what he said. There is no way he is going to get the press he needs to get him through the weekend.

Game. Set. Match.

16855[/snapback]

Spin it any way you want. That's your right. But it's a long two months. And Gore had a big lead going into the debates in 2000.

Spin it any way you want.  That's your right.  But it's a long two months.  And Gore had a big lead going into the debates in 2000.

16858[/snapback]

Thankfully Mr. Kerry is more personable with a better record of amazing accomplishment and the wind firmly planted at his back. Almost the Anti-Gore. [/sarcasm]

Why would John Kerry say one week ago, that if he were President he too would have gone to war in Iraq,.....but then tonight he said the President misled the nation into war?

Is he saying if he was President he would have misled the nation?

Thankfully Mr. Kerry is more personable with a better record of amazing accomplishment and the wind firmly planted at his back.  Almost the Anti-Gore. [/sarcasm]

16863[/snapback]

Maybe not the Anti-Gore, but he's been a strong finisher in every other race. All I'm saying is the debates will finalize this, and not some ridiculous self-congratulatory BS these parties feed themselves.

The vice president even called me unfit for office last night. I guess I'll leave it up to the voters whether five deferments makes someone more qualified to defend this nation than two tours of duty.

16830[/snapback]

Why does Kerry do this? I watched Cheney's speach, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Cheney acknowledged Kerry's service in Vietnam. After doing so, he then simply said that that service does not qualify him for presidency, it is the 20 years in political office and Kerry's policy over those years that indicates his qualifications for office. I do not remember Cheney connecting Kerry's Vietnam service with his ability to be in office.

If Kerry wants the Vietnam issues to go away, he needs to stop attacking like this. Attack Zell Miller on this issue, not Cheney, who did attack Kerry, but on the issues, not on his time in Vietnam.

I think this proves that Kerry is still holding on desperately to his Vietnam service and hoping that alone will carry him through.

Maybe not the Anti-Gore, but he's been a strong finisher in every other race.  All I'm saying is the debates will finalize this, and not some ridiculous self-congratulatory BS these parties feed themselves.

16875[/snapback]

And I think under the hot lights Kerry will wilt.

He's spineless.

Say what you will about dubya, he has convictions. Kerry can't say the same.

I think it's a sign of weakness that Kerry has to have a speech less than an hour after the Republican National Convention ends.

And from what I've seen of his rebuttal (that he apparently absolutely *had* to get out tonight) on MSNBC, he doesn't have anything to say.

"I have four words for America, five words for Bush, two words for you, three words for you, I don't know you but I'll come up with some words later, 4 fours for my wife, six words....."

Maybe not the Anti-Gore, but he's been a strong finisher in every other race.  All I'm saying is the debates will finalize this, and not some ridiculous self-congratulatory BS these parties feed themselves.

16875[/snapback]

Yeah, Massachussetts Democrats have a ridiculously difficult time getting elected, especially to Congress. Ted Kennedy could snort coke of a preschooler's belly and he'd win in a landslide.

Kerry keeps saying all these things he is gonna do as President, but I have yet to hear him ever say how he intends to accomplish any of these plans.

16871[/snapback]

I believe he would work with Congress on bills and push for them to be passed as legislation.

For all your complaints, I have to say this: Bush has had four years to do plenty and all he has to say is that more people own houses and he has a lot of plans to introduce new programs.

1) If these programs are such great ideas, where have they been the past 4 years?

2) If these programs are not just campaign promise BS that plays well with the mom vote, how the hell are we going to pay for them when we are in TWO WARS and cutting taxes?! This stevestojan is magic.

Yeah, Massachussetts Democrats have a ridiculously difficult time getting elected, especially to Congress.  Ted Kennedy could snort coke of a preschooler's belly and he'd win in a landslide.

16883[/snapback]

It was a close race with Weld, who was an enormously popular governor despite his conservatism, and the Republicans sunk a lot of money into that race. But I digress. Good night.

It was a close race with Weld, who was an enormously popular governor despite his conservatism, and the Republicans sunk a lot of money into that race.

16889[/snapback]

Well there's once, when what 60+% of the voting populous went into the thing registered on his side? Way to hold that lead, tiger.

I believe he would work with Congress on bills and push for them to be passed as legislation.

For all your complaints, I have to say this:  Bush has had four years to do plenty and all he has to say is that more people own houses and he has a lot of plans to introduce new programs. 

1) If these programs are such great ideas, where have they been the past 4 years?

2) If these programs are not just campaign promise BS that plays well with the mom vote, how the hell are we going to pay for them when we are in TWO WARS and cutting taxes?!  This stevestojan is magic.

16886[/snapback]

With all due respect I didn't ask what "Runthedamnball" thinks Kerry might do....

As far as what Bush has accomplished in 4 years....I know you won't agree with this, but they inherited a recession 4 years ago coming out of a booming economy that was built on a house of cards called the dot.com phenomenon.

THEN...9 months in, the financial district of the nation was attacked and I would think that kind of action would lead to a bump in the progress of the economy....which seems to be in recovery now. Remember...that when Regan took office it took 4+ years for that administration to turn the economy around....but given time, it succeeded.

With all due respect I didn't ask what "Runthedamnball" thinks Kerry might do....

With all due respect? You really mean that? That was a joke, anyway.

As far as what Bush has accomplished in 4 years....I know you won't agree with this, but they inherited a recession 4 years ago coming out of a booming economy that was built on a house of cards called the dot.com phenomenon.

Republican talking-point alert. What about the surplus? He inherited that, too.

THEN...9 months in, the financial district of the nation was attacked and I would think that kind of action would lead to a bump in the progress of the economy....which seems to be in recovery now.  Remember...that when Regan took office it took 4+ years for that administration to turn the economy around....but given time, it succeeded.

16896[/snapback]

I know, we're turning the corner. I'll believe it when people I know can actually get jobs that pay them anything close to what the ones they lost were paying, if they get one at all. In the meantime they should just stop being girlie men, eat their Ramen and better themselves.

THERE WAS NO SURPLUS.

I really don't know why this phenomenon continues unabated. The government has been spending excess Social Security receipts and putting IOUs back. Under the Clinton Administration, more people were working, hence a ton more money in payroll taxes.

There was NO SURPLUS. Only bigger IOUs in the goddamn lockbox Al Gore kept babbling about. Wait until they open that box when the boomers retire. You think the deficit sucks now? You think Enron was guilty of creative accounting? Uncle Sugar has them beat by a country mile.

Additionally, there was alot more money collected from Capital Gains due to the internet boom. When those companies started busting, NO MORE FUGGIN' CAPITAL GAINS. Apparently, that's alot of money - since over 50 MILLION Americans invest. They actually have a whole street in NYC devoted to the concept. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand these simple consequences, yet here we are again.

Bwack, Bwack. The government is fuggin' you - regardless of which of these groups of disfunctional criminals is in charge of it.

Spin it any way you want.  That's your right.  But it's a long two months.  And Gore had a big lead going into the debates in 2000.

16858[/snapback]

It is a long 60 days, no doubt, but Kerry holding a rally at 1/4 of midnight in Ohio says it all. No spin needed. The guy took such a large hit this week he had to respond immediately, even if it was midnight in Ohio.

I think it's a sign of weakness that Kerry has to have a speech less than an hour after the Republican National Convention ends.

And from what I've seen of his rebuttal (that he apparently absolutely *had* to get out tonight) on MSNBC, he doesn't have anything to say.

"I have four words for America, five words for Bush, two words for you, three words for you, I don't know you but I'll come up with some words later, 4 fours for my wife, six words....."

16882[/snapback]

LOL.....I have 6 words....ummmmm, give me a call and I'll wake you up....ummmmm.....no.....uhhhh, I got a big hat and I lost my cattle.....errrrr, no wait.......Reporting for Doody..........ok, that's 3 words.....

:P