slingbox

Russ

I tried searching, but only found a couple references to slingbox, so I figured this warranted its own thread.

Can those of you who use slingbox please weigh in on its pros and cons and whether or not its worth the investment? Also, any recommendations on what model to get? Are there competing devices? Am I understanding correctly that using it occupies one of your home TVs? Thanks!

Go with the newest model M-1. Finally has built in wireless, so you don't need to hard wire it to your router. It is also the cheapest.

Needs to hooked up directly to a cable box, preferably one that isn't being used. The person controlling the slingbox will control the box, so you watch what they watch and vise versa.

M-1 provides damn near hd quality. Have a slingbox hooked up at my mother's house in buffalo, I live in nc. Get all the bills and sabres games. Runs the best on a PC, but it also has apps for phones and tablets. Needs windows 7 or higher for PC use with the M-1.

I have Directv, and use a device called Genie Go. I think Slingbox is the better option for watching sports remotely. Only drawback on the sling box is broadband access is required.

However, I fly quite often and and wanted to watch TV stuff on the plane, and I can download content to the IPAD on genie go.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the M1 last week. Absolutely love it! The picture quality on my s4 is amazing. The video is only a few seconds behind live TV. My daughter watched the sabres game in the car last night...so cool.