Request Preston Brown update

air2mud82

While oversea's, I have to stream my Bills coverage and unable to record it, making self-analysis difficult for some positions. Can someone elaborate on how Preston Brown did overall as he was filling in for Bradham at LB? I saw him get torched for the TD pass to MB, but didn't notice much of him after that. For a defender, that might be a good thing.

Thanks ahead of time,

Mike

According to WGR 550's Joe B: Surprisingly, rookie Preston Brown (74, -8, 1.3) was the only defensive player to take every snap for the Bills versus Chicago. Based on Brown’s opening performance, the team should look elsewhere for an every down linebacker for the time being. The Bears picked on Brown in coverage and he overran running plays to allow the opposition to extra yards on numerous occasions. He surely had nerves on his first drive when he fell down on Cutler’s touchdown toss to Martellus Bennett, but the nerves didn’t seem to vanquish over time like they normally do. Brown needs to be a lot better than he was, and he might have to do it again in Week Two with the injury to Keith Rivers (38, -1, 2.3).

Here's the link to his full write-up on his break down of our guys' individual performances against the Bears: http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=426703

According to WGR 550's Joe B: Surprisingly, rookie Preston Brown (74, -8, 1.3) was the only defensive player to take every snap for the Bills versus Chicago. Based on Brown’s opening performance, the team should look elsewhere for an every down linebacker for the time being. The Bears picked on Brown in coverage and he overran running plays to allow the opposition to extra yards on numerous occasions. He surely had nerves on his first drive when he fell down on Cutler’s touchdown toss to Martellus Bennett, but the nerves didn’t seem to vanquish over time like they normally do. Brown needs to be a lot better than he was, and he might have to do it again in Week Two with the injury to Keith Rivers (38, -1, 2.3).

Here's the link to his full write-up on his break down of our guys' individual performances against the Bears: http://www.wgr550.co....php?pid=426703

FYI: Keith Rivers was having a nice game before he came out with a groin injury

Yeah he definitely got burned on that Bennett TD but I thought he showed good instincts on that fumble recovery in the 2nd quarter. It looked like that ball could have easily bounced out of bounds if Brown hadn't reacted so quickly and snagged it like he did.

IMO: he played a game you would expect from a 3rd round rookie. Showed that he has talent and good instincts (like on the fumble recovery) but also will have to improve to start (coverage)

Yeah he definitely got burned on that Bennett TD but I thought he showed good instincts on that fumble recovery in the 2nd quarter. It looked like that ball could have easily bounced out of bounds if Brown hadn't reacted so quickly and snagged it like he did.

He definitely did not get burned on the TD.

Let's be clear.

If a defender falls down they didn't get burned. They weren't in the play to get burned.

Joe B.'s write up is a little more negative than I would expect.

he clearly has a nose for the ball and #52 was around the ball carrier a lot. Forte isn't exactly an easy tackle and he was able to slow him down and redirect him so that Forte was not a major factor in the game.

Yes if Brown would have straight up dropped Forte on a few occasions he would have saved some yards but that doesn't seem like a fair expectation for any LB on Forte let alone a rook.

Great instincts on Fumble Recovery.

If Preston Brown played every game like that for the test of his career we would have a solid Starting LB minus the slip up. Especially given the steaming pile of poo that has the Been the Bills LBs for the last 10 years.

The good news he likely will get better.

Personally I was pretty impressed with his play.

He definitely did not get burned on the TD.

Let's be clear.

If a defender falls down they didn't get burned. They weren't in the play to get burned.

Call it whatever you want. Dude gave up a big play = not good.

If Preston Brown played every game like that for the test of his career we would have a solid Starting LB minus the slip up. Especially given the steaming pile of poo that has the Been the Bills LBs for the last 10 years.

I somewhat disagree. For starters, analyzing a player by first taking away their worst play of a game is not logical. Every time the Bills lose a game by one score or less you could just say, well the Bills win if you take away this one play. You have to count the good and the bad together.

Brown is the weakest link among starting linebackers for the Bills right now. He is not horrible. But he didn't play well enough last week to be a consistent starter in the NFL. He needs to be better than that. He should get better with more experience and will probably be good one day. But he didn't play well against the Bears in my personal opinion. Expect the Dolphins to try to exploit the rookie and get him to make mistakes. Maybe he plays better this week. Maybe not. Whaley seems to think Brown is going to be great. So I trust that Brown will play better as the season progresses much as I expect EJ to continue getting better as the season progresses.

Call it whatever you want. Dude gave up a big play = not good.

I somewhat disagree. For starters, analyzing a player by first taking away their worst play of a game is not logical. Every time the Bills lose a game by one score or less you could just say, well the Bills win if you take away this one play. You have to count the good and the bad together.

Brown is the weakest link among starting linebackers for the Bills right now. He is not horrible. But he didn't play well enough last week to be a consistent starter in the NFL. He needs to be better than that. He should get better with more experience and will probably be good one day. But he didn't play well against the Bears in my personal opinion. Expect the Dolphins to try to exploit the rookie and get him to make mistakes. Maybe he plays better this week. Maybe not. Whaley seems to think Brown is going to be great. So I trust that Brown will play better as the season progresses much as I expect EJ to continue getting better as the season progresses.

The analysis includes includes the worst play.

There are about 75 defensive plays a game.

If he doesn't slip and fall on one of those play he had a solid performance IMO.

If he played like he played on Sunday minus the slip then that level of play is good for a starter IMO. That statement is so simple you should clearly understand that the analysis includes the slip.

It is actually illogical to use 1 slip on 1/75 plays as the measurement of his play which it appears you have done.

The analysis includes includes the worst play.

There are about 75 defensive plays a game.

If he doesn't slip and fall on one of those play he had a solid performance IMO.

If he played like he played on Sunday minus the slip then that level of play is good for a starter IMO. That statement is so simple you should clearly understand that the analysis includes the slip.

It is actually illogical to use 1 slip on 1/75 plays as the measurement of his play which it appears you have done.

It looked to me like he was beat badly before the slip. In fact, it could have been the fact he was beat so bad that caused the slip. I only saw it once on the replay but I was specifically looking for it and it looked like Bennett beat him right away. He also made a couple other not so good plays.

It looked to me like he was beat badly before the slip. In fact, it could have been the fact he was beat so bad that caused the slip. I only saw it once on the replay but I was specifically looking for it and it looked like Bennett beat him right away. He also made a couple other not so good plays.

Yes it appears he was beat off the line. However he did slip and fall, so we have no idea on his recovery and closing speed.

So yeah he fell let's talk about the 74 other plays too.

Yes it appears he was beat off the line. However he did slip and fall, so we have no idea on his recovery and closing speed.

So yeah he fell let's talk about the 74 other plays too.

Well, the slip/bad play was a TD. That cannot be underestimated. Overall, he had a decent game, IMO. Not bad for a rookie third rounder not expected to start, on the road, in Soldier Field, against those WR, TE and RBs. Couldn't be a much harder task. We are going to need him to play this week, and with Rivers out at least two weeks we need Brown even more.

Well, the slip/bad play was a TD. That cannot be underestimated. Overall, he had a decent game, IMO. Not bad for a rookie third rounder not expected to start, on the road, in Soldier Field, against those WR, TE and RBs. Couldn't be a much harder task. We are going to need him to play this week, and with Rivers out at least two weeks we need Brown even more.

Exactly I feel that Brown will hold his own against the Fins and maybe the Chargers.

I'm optimistic about a Contract year Bradham & Spikes with Preston Brown at LB.

Like any Rook there will be ups and downs. I saw more Ups than downs last Sunday.

We will see this Sunday.