Other news

VABills

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend "Dispatches" by Michael Herr to reveal a bit about the other side.

Excerpted:

And after all these years, we were caught in midwinter with the blunt truth that our achievement in Vietnam had been less than epic, a fact that touched everyone but the men who run the war. It became finally clear that General Westmoreland did not understand this war ("This is a different war than Americans have ever been asked to fight," he told the Examining Angels. "How is it different?" they asked. "Well, you know, it's just . . . different"), and he was asked to leave it. The immediate official response was manic; after years and years of posing along the rim, the Mission joined hands and leapt through the Looking Glass. It was as though Swift's vault had been plundered to meet the public doubt. They trotted out their kill ratios, their curious estimates of enemy morale (there wasn't any), their poor, salvaged shards of Pacification (that good American idea; it would have worked wonderfully in New Mexico), strange redemption profiles of the countryside's lost security. The same incantations, the heavies, moderates and lights of this statistic-obsessed war, were sung again, and optimism was spent at the same excessive rate which we had previously maintained in the expending of ordnance. This antic Thumbs-Upmanship was best pegged by a British correspondent who compared it all to the captain of the Titanic announcing, "There's nothing to be alarmed about, ladies and gentlemen. We're only stopping briefly to take on some ice."

Different war, same kind of Thumbs-up from the Mission.

I don't care about Vietnam. It was a screwed up war where the politicians didn't let the military guys win it. This isn't Vietnam. Move into the year 2005. Let's not discuss a war 40 years ago that Kennedy and Johnson got us into and completely screwed up.

Did you read any of the "other facts" about this war that I posted? Of course not.

I highly recommend "Dispatches" by Michael Herr to reveal a bit about the other side.

Excerpted:

Different war, same kind of Thumbs-up from the Mission.

220303[/snapback]

Unbelievable.

It's amazing how desperate some people are to see this thing fail. Utterly stupefying.

Unbelievable.

It's amazing how desperate some people are to see this thing fail. Utterly stupefying.

220343[/snapback]

I'm seriously skeptical as to "this thing"'s (if that = Iraq) ultimate success in removing more terrorists from the face of the earth than it creates. So, I guess in your world it logically follows that I want both of my brothers to die to prove that this skepticism is right, yeah?

I consider it a point of honor that I've never used the red emoticon, but I really wanted to right here. Think before you post your crappy stereotypes, man.

I'm not saying this to brag or belittle but I've forgotten more about the subject of this thread than you guys will ever know.

I'm not saying this to brag or belittle but I've forgotten more about the subject of this thread than you guys will ever know.

220454[/snapback]

Ummm... OK. You must know a lot about other news, and you discount the other news these two vets know about.

You're too full of yourself man.

Ummm... OK.  You must know a lot about other news, and you discount the other news these two vets know about.

You're too full of yourself man.

220463[/snapback]

He hasn't read anything I posted there. He posted a story from 1968 about Vietnam and says it is all the same. WTF.

He hasn't read anything I posted there.  He posted a story from 1968 about Vietnam and says it is all the same.  WTF.

220465[/snapback]

I opened the first, which showed an ancient Iraqi woman grinning while getting frisked by a female soldier. Maybe it was the best time she's had in years.

It may be different for you, but most people don't enjoy when their home is searched by ten Marines who rifle through your underwear drawer and piss on the toiletseat.

If you believe 1/4 of the military's PR machine you're kidding yourself.

Since read through the others. And if you're trying to say none of these types of things are out there, like the guy doing rehab, you must not read very widely. There are "positive" stories out there in the real media, I remember many, but they tend to get lost in the shuffle that goes on in all our heads and are second fiddle to 'if it bleeds, it leads.'

Since read through the others. And if you're trying to say none of these types of things are out there, like the guy doing rehab, you must not read very widely. There are "positive" stories out there in the real media, I remember many, but they tend to get lost in the shuffle that goes on in all our heads and are second fiddle to 'if it bleeds, it leads.'

220501[/snapback]

Maybe in your news. But in Washington You get the Post or the Times. The Post has turned back into a super liberal newspaper over the last several months and there is nothing in there about any of these things. The times is about 10 pages thick and has nothing but Rush Limbaugh soundbites.

We don't get real news down here, only the political BS. As far as the news on TV goes, I only get to watch one or two nights per week and CBS, NBC, ABC nor the local fox news show any of this, ever.

It may be different for you, but most people don't enjoy when their home is searched by ten Marines who rifle through your underwear drawer and piss on the toiletseat.

220501[/snapback]

Ignorant post, but this passage grabbed my interest considering they don't have toilet seats over there. But whatever...

Ignorant post, but this passage grabbed my interest considering  they don't have toilet seats over there.  But whatever...

220509[/snapback]

What the hell would you know about what is happening in Iraq?

Ignorant post, but this passage grabbed my interest considering  they don't have toilet seats over there.  But whatever...

220509[/snapback]

Oh stop with the facts. UJ is still upset that Bush raised the Pel grants even more this year and he still got less money, therefore Pel grants were reduced. Doesn't Bush know it is his job to make sure UJ gets a college education for free because well that is his right. Even if his reading comprehension is horrible. We should only worry about paying for the spoiled childrens education and not worry about the rest of the world.

Oh stop with the facts.  UJ is still upset that Bush raised the Pel grants even more this year and he still got less money, therefore Pel grants were reduced.  Doesn't Bush know it is his job to make sure UJ gets a college education for free because well that is his right.  Even if his reading comprehension is horrible.  We should only worry about paying for the spoiled childrens education and not worry about the rest of the world.

220517[/snapback]

I've had to tell you several times how I walked across a stage and got a piece of paper when you've pulled out the same craptacular schpiel. And explained that macroeconomically, they make sense. And you talk about reading comprehension.

I've had to tell you several times how I walked across a stage and got a piece of paper when you've pulled out the same craptacular schpiel. And explained that macroeconomically, they make sense. And you talk about reading comprehension.

220526[/snapback]

Yes I did forget that. That those who are "capable" of college should have it paid for becuase it makes sense. But for everyone else they should be your servants and slaves, changing your oil, shining your shoes because obviously they are too stupid to serve any other function. Oh I remember those discussions. I thought you were being funny, because it sounded too much like Hitler and the Aryan Nation to be have me honestly believe it.

I'm seriously skeptical as to "this thing"'s (if that = Iraq) ultimate success in removing more terrorists from the face of the earth than it creates. So, I guess in your world it logically follows that I want both of my brothers to die to prove that this skepticism is right, yeah?

I consider it a point of honor that I've never used the red emoticon, but I really wanted to right here. Think before you post your crappy stereotypes, man.

220454[/snapback]

Well, you certainly have proven one thing: That being you are willing to desperately try to prove a correlation between two completely different wars in two completely different parts of the world.

Your motivation being that your two brothers are there of course.

I'm assuming your brothers volunteered to join the armed forces, correct?