EJ Staring Down Receivers/Looking Off Defenders

Watch any QB in the league, including the top ones, and you're going to see them "staring down their receiver." That's because it's what a QB does. He doesn't just take a snap then leisurely look around in the hope that one of his guys is open, then go, "Oh, I think I'll toss it to that chap." On every pass play, he has a primary receiver, there's a well-practiced play underway, and it is up to the QB to make a quick decision whether that play is going to work or not (because a receiver is too well covered or defenders are closing in too fast). Only then does he go to his other reads or to the scramble.

I think what separates the greats from the rest is not that they can find an open receiver. It's the ability to quickly see who is NOT open and find another option.

The above may sound like semantics, and I might not be explaining it properly, but I know what I am TRYING to say.

Any HS QB can find a receiver who is wide open. The ability (and perhaps instinct) to look off of a covered Calvin Johnson is another matter.

It's unpopular here, but I think that if EJ rolls out (and yes, runs), it might buy him time to improve his decision making. It's clear that he has talent. It's not clear if he is a good pocket passer.

Just my $.02.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what separates the greats from the rest is not that they can find an open receiver. It's the ability to quickly see who is NOT open and find another option.

The above may sound like semantics, and I might not be explaining it properly, but I know what I am TRYING to say.

Any HS QB can find a receiver who is wide open. The ability (and perhaps instinct) to look off of a covered Calvin Johnson is another matter.

It's unpopular here, but I think that if EJ rolls out (and yes, runs), it might buy him time to improve his decision making. It's clear that he has talent. It's not clear if he is a good pocket passer.

Just my $.02.

The only thing I disagree with here is that you throw the ball to a covered Calvin Johnson and let him win the battle, this is the reason I believe we traded for both Watkins and Williams- they both have the ability to win when they're covered. Whether or not that's good for EJs growth has yet to be determined. I used to be against picking a WR early in the draft, I didn't think the position was that important. However with all the rule changes over the years and now again more rule changes this year the WR may be one of the most important positions on the field. If you have a guy or two that can win a battle you throw them the ball regardless of how well they're covered.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed