Kevin Gaughn article in the Buffalo News re: Decline of Buffalo

dubs

Of course he's right BUT attracting new businesses is easier said than done.

NY state has been in decline for many years. NY used to have 45 Representatives in the US House, now it's down to the high 20's, all due to state population loss. NY City hasn't missed a beat, but the rest of the state has been wiped out. I live in Virginia, and see the NY STATE IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS ads on TV. What a hoot! ALL the taxes are way too high. Sales tax, Property tax, gasoline tax, you name it, NY is way out of line.

Sad thing is, it's not just Buffalo, it's our entire fan base area. It's Syracuse and Rochester too. The front page of the NEWS today says Cuomo is 32 points ahead in the polls. So NY is ready to continue the same old corruption, and nothing will change.

I hope Mr Pegula is successful with his bid, and hope the BILLS succeed too, but they're in a difficult environment.

I live in NC and basically business in NYS acts like its still the 1950's. tons of unnecessary repetitive services, towns working independently rather than collectively. I live in a county as big in size as Niagara County, with 50% greater population and we have one school district. Niagara County has 10. That's 10 superintentants, 10 separate support staffs, such a huge waste of tax payer money.

While this article has valid points, it doesn't mention that the population in Buffalo has stabilized and is anticipating modest growth in the next few years. I could go on about why this will happen, but that's information you can find anywhere, start with www.buffalorising.com.

I find it interesting that many replying to this post tend to justify their move out of Buffalo without being challenged or questioned on the decision. If you made the move and it's worked out for you, that's great to hear and you should be happy about your decision.

Just don't let an article from a traditionalist writer cloud your judgement that Buffalo is indeed coming back, buffalo bills or not.

While this article has valid points, it doesn't mention that the population in Buffalo has stabilized and is anticipating modest growth in the next few years. I could go on about why this will happen, but that's information you can find anywhere, start with www.buffalorising.com.

I find it interesting that many replying to this post tend to justify their move out of Buffalo without being challenged or questioned on the decision. If you made the move and it's worked out for you, that's great to hear and you should be happy about your decision.

Just don't let an article from a traditionalist writer cloud your judgement that Buffalo is indeed coming back, buffalo bills or not.

It will be quite interest to see the actual results of the next census. I suspect we will see a significant but not huge (yet) rise in population due to several factors:

1. Apparently Forbes magazine recently id'ed Buffalo as one of the most affordable places to buy housing in the country. From an economic standpoint it is logical to think ths will draw some folks

2. The less expensive housing has drawn the attention of Washington which each year settles a nit insubstantial # of approved immigrants as refugees. Over the last several years there has been an increasing # of folks settled here by the feds putting a federal program in place supporting increased immigration

3. The City of Buffalo recognizing an opportunity also is building its capacity to attract immigrants.

4. Predictions have id'ed Buffalo as a likely refuge from global climate change impacts

This invariably will decline into a political argument and that's a waste of time because quite honestly, both sides of the aisle in NY are culpable for this situation. And this also will invariably lead to myths and urban legends about "why" we are the way we are. Two I see already in seven posts.

1. NY is down in House membership due to population loss. Not true. Although population decline statewide in only one decade in its history, the 70s, it's been on the rise ever since, albeit slower than in the past. You need a lesson in proportional representation. Other states have grown faster and caught up and we've lost representation due to what is happening elsewhere. This state is old and developed way earlier than the booming sunbelt states... we lead first. Now others are growing like we once did. That's the cycle of economics. The northeast was heavily invested in a mono-economy... we made stuff. Some cities and regions survived after deindustrialization due to a more diverse economy.

true---most of the states population have grown from decade to decade but congress is based on raw population numbers so other states grew by higher amounts to take congressional seats from the midwest and north east.

Last census Texas gained 4 seats and all of it could be attributed to the Latin population growth in the state. From 2000cto 2010 the white population was at rate that wouldnt have had it gain a congressional seat.

2. Weather, what a laugher. Ever been to Seattle or Portland, you don't see the sun for weeks as it rains constantly. Or Minneapolis, where the winters are way harsher yet they have countless Fortune 500 companies? Weather's an excuse because other cities, dare I say Toronto, have managed to overcome that myth.

From someone who lives in Seattle/Portland. You dont go weeks without the sun. You do see the sun, its just not that common in November-February in terms of rainfall Atlanta gets more annual rain. No it doesnt rain constantly In the summer it doesnt get oppressively hot (outside of about 4-6 days a year) and humid in the summer.

Buffalo is viewed as the snow capital of the country but its not. Its all about the image.

I have noticed in the last 20 years in Buffalo it seems there has been a climate change where getting the humid days was not as common as it is now.