Was EJ Really the Wrong Pick in 2013? A Look at the 2013 First Round

Big C

I'll take that question. The Bills just let Andy Levitre walk. Yes, he wanted too much, but the Bills just shot themselves by opening a giant hole and now needed to fill that gaping wound. Their options at guard, Horrendous! Available in the draft at 16, Kyle Long, G

Pro Football Focus' All-Rookie Team, named to NFL.com's All-Rookie Team, 2014 Pro Bowl

I would say there was a critical position of need at G, and Long did pretty well in the "accomplishing" department.

The Bills won 4 games with EJ at QB. I think there are a number of QBs last year that might have won 4 games out of 16 with the Buffalo "D" last year. The "D" practically won that many games as it was. Take away Carpenter and the "D", and they probably would not have won half of those 4 games. Even "Trentative" in his prime or Rob Johnson might have won 4 games last year. Even Fritz could have won 4 games last year, uggg!

So far until the new season plays out "Smith= EJ". It is too early to tell , but so far this preseason possibly at least Manziel=EJ. Bortles=EJ, Bridgewater=EJ. We have seen little of a "high ceiling" from EJ so far to put him above those mentioned.

Edited by simpleman

But EJ didn't play 16 games. He played 10.

I am painfully aware how fragile EJ was last year and how many games he missed. You have to be in them to win them. The point is it would have been easy to get another pro QB that played enough games to win just 4. Being durable enough to even play the game is part of the battle. We always talk about durability being an important attribute in an pro athlete.