Tuel demoted to third team

To me, there are three-four categories you can classify NFL quarterbacks in. 1) rag arms, 2) all the throws arms, 3) strong arms, 4) rocket arms.

Most fall into the middle two. Tuel falls into the make all the throws arms. He can complete the long out pattern well enough that NFL cornerbacks cannot get their quick enough to break up the play. He can throw a deep ball 50 yards. He doesn't get in trouble because he has a rag arm, it's just not a strong one. EJ has a strong arm, although I would say it's closer to the all the throws arm than the rocket arm.

i think a fair assessment that would match my gut

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, there are three-four categories you can classify NFL quarterbacks in. 1) rag arms, 2) all the throws arms, 3) strong arms, 4) rocket arms.

Most fall into the middle two. Tuel falls into the make all the throws arms. He can complete the long out pattern well enough that NFL cornerbacks cannot get their quick enough to break up the play. He can throw a deep ball 50 yards. He doesn't get in trouble because he has a rag arm, it's just not a strong one. EJ has a strong arm, although I would say it's closer to the all the throws arm than the rocket arm.

The only part I'd disagree with is the last sentence -- and I'm admittedly guessing. I think the way EJ is playing right now actually downplays the strength of his arm -- because he's still learning and I don't think he's letting it rip yet. I won't say he has a rocket, but I think he's closer to that end than the "make all throws" end of the spectrum. Once he becomes comfortable and just starts "playing" I believe (hope) we'll see the real arm.

1) Here the ball is difficult to see, but I believe it's still in Tuel's hand, just about to be released

tuel-start-521_zpsa53d227e.png

2) Here the ball is difficult to see, but I believe it's just leaving Tuel's hand. It appears as a blur behind the O-lineman's helmet

tuel-start-538_zpsf74ea49f.png

3) Here the ball has just touched the receiver's hand

tuel-end_zps77ac612a.png

I used 2 and 3 to calculate the time. If I had used 1 and 3, the flight time would go up by .017 second

In that case, the speed would be 51.095 mph

The only part I'd disagree with is the last sentence -- and I'm admittedly guessing. I think the way EJ is playing right now actually downplays the strength of his arm -- because he's still learning and I don't think he's letting it rip yet. I won't say he has a rocket, but I think he's closer to that end than the "make all throws" end of the spectrum. Once he becomes comfortable and just starts "playing" I believe (hope) we'll see the real arm.

I would guess that the combine number of 54 mph is around what we would see if EJ lets it rip

Kaepernick's combine number is 59 and he is reported to throw a 95 mph fastball

Based on just those numbers, EJ would have an 86.95 mph fastball

Apparently average fastball is 90 mph... http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_average_pitching_speed_in_MLB

Major League Scouts consider 90 mph an average major league fast ball. 95 mph is considered a plus fastball velocity, and +97-98 mph a plus, plus velocity

Edited by Just Nguyen Baby

This strong arm classification for EJ comes from where....what evidence supports this assertion? The combine numbers put him in tthe middle of that group. I don't recall there being buzz when he was at FSU as having a 'gun'.....so aside from wanting it to be true, is there anything other than...wait and see?

This strong arm classification for EJ comes from where....what evidence supports this assertion? The combine numbers put him in tthe middle of that group. I don't recall there being buzz when he was at FSU as having a 'gun'.....so aside from wanting it to be true, is there anything other than...wait and see?

Sorry, didn't mean to start a discussion on EJ again, so I'll stop. I still think Tuel is not good.