Ohio drinking water emergency

I'll take "Asian Carp" for $300, Alex.

Actually, the Asian carp would help the situation, they would gobble up the algae. That's the problem, the algae would not be in The Lake if there was an invasion taking place. So where are the carp?

And there in is the rub. The southern catfish farmers w/the help of the US gov't first brought Asian (bighead, silver, black, and grass) into the country during the 1970's to CLEAN UP stuff like ALGAE in their ponds. Why is Lake Erie having an algae problem if carp are "invading?" What, it is going on 5 years now since the "sky started to fall." It is going on 15 since the last bighead was taken in Lake Erie (actually in the western basin of The Lake @ Toldeo/Sandusky)... No silver to date. AND now they even banned grass carp which only eat vegetation after a few years of being hatched. Which, grass carp have been reported in all Lakes EXCEPT Superior since the 1990's.

What seems to be the problem here... More gov't/enviro boondoggle?

Farmers and state governments are to blame.

yeah. Not letting this one slide. Why farmers?

Its these Nancy boy pricks in suburbs using leaf blowers to put grass debris in storm water, lawn companies over fertilizing, homeowners who don't mknowmshit putting out 50# of 10-10-10 every week, and many other things.

But yeah, shop at whole foods, eat your wormy apples, drive your Prius and shut up.

When you have millions of acres in Toledo and the area - and by the way, I grew up there and for the record, Sylvania cut off then water supply ASAP - that are paved, little to no green space, and all of this suburban activity from Perrysburg to Rossford, right along the Maumee, hell down to Findlay and the back creeks- look up the Ottawa River by the way and Swan Creek - both starting in the suburbs and considered highly containminated - anyway you're just flat out wrong.

The CEC in that soil is so perfect and the soil so amazing that run off contains little to no traces of fertilizer in the purge lines. Ag is so scientific, not because "big Ag" and "corporate farms" want to destroy the environment, no, its because people B word about the cost of food and want corn syrup in everything driving prices in to flux leaving farms to get so precise with fertilizer that they waste none.

So, do your homework, look up swan creek, 10 mile creek, the Ottawa river (which has no fish in it) and then get back to me. When you find out you're wrong I'll make you walk the plank of the Willis Boyer.

yeah. Not letting this one slide. Why farmers?

My guess would be fertilizer runoff in such a shallow basin?

??

Anyway... I used to sound the western basin on Lake Erie & Maumee Bay. It is very shallow. Wind is a factor with water elevation changes. @ the mouth of the Maumee River it wasn't uncommon to see boats stuck in the muck with an off shore/south/southwest wind. The winds would literally blow the water out of the bay. Modern technology made it easier to get the correct elevation. In the old days, we would have to ride all the way in to the check the guage boards... Then by the time we rode out, the elevation changed again! Could be a two mile ride from where we were taking soundings. What a pain in the butt. Not surprising that the western basin is being effected. It is the first to heat up being as shallow as it is.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Also, the link between zebra mussels and algae blooms. Toledo and the western basin is almost ground zero where they were dropped back in '87 (Lake St. Clair). I never seen so many in my life as when I was on the beach near the mouth of the Toussaint River. There was not an open space of sand on the beach... And this was back in the early 1990's.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois