(OT) Lord of the Rings Trilogy

ubhockey

Well, I just watched the LOTR Trilogy over the past three days. There is much I forgot going a year in between each masterpiece. To call LOTR the greatest movie of all time does it no justice. I don't think you can ever consider it a movie. It transends that level into one that has never been reached. It is an epic that I don't think will ever be bettered. Peter Jackson did a tremendous job turn what I consider the greatest piece of literature into a film.

For those of you who never saw the epic or those who thought, ewww, that looks corny, give it a chance, you won't regret it. It will be the greatest thing you'll ever watch -- at least until the Bills win a Super Bowl.

The characters, the music, the battles, the struggles of good and evil, and so much more. I get shivers watching this movie, you feel as though you are in it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a very well done series. But I don't know if I would call it the "greatest piece of art ever" since it wasn't done from scratch. Would you call a copy of the Mona Lisa (even if it was exsquisite...I can't spell tonight) greater than the original? You have to give Tolkin his due.

That's not to rain on the film(s). They are very well done. But not the best ever captured on celluloid if you ask me.

It's a very well done series. But I don't know if I would call it the "greatest piece of art ever" since it wasn't done from scratch. Would you call a copy of the Mona Lisa (even if it was exsquisite...I can't spell tonight) greater than the original? You have to give Tolkin his due.

That's not to rain on the film(s). They are very well done. But not the best ever captured on celluloid if you ask me.

218710[/snapback]

I guess I should have said the books and the world of Middle-Earth that Tolkien created was the greatest work of art ever. The film did the trilogy justice and that rarely happens.

All and all, from the books to the films, I can't see it getting any better ... except as I mentioned, a Bills Super Bowl. :P

They're pretty good books, too. :P

218708[/snapback]

Thanks for pointing that out. The Hobbit was the book that set it all off and should be read by enthusiasts as well. I'm curious to see how The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe turns out on film. It might appeal to a younger audience but still an awesome adventure series as a child.

Thanks for pointing that out. The Hobbit was the book that set it all off and should be read by enthusiasts as well. I'm curious to see how The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe turns out on film. It might appeal to a younger audience but still an awesome adventure series as a child.

218713[/snapback]

Jackson also plans on doing the Hobbit as a film with the cast from the LOTR flicks. He hopes to start it in 2007.

I only saw the first movie, so I really can't comment on the other two. However, for what it is worth, I was simply enamored with the books as an 11-year-old. He created not only a world with the written word, but went so far as to provide maps...an alphabet...a dictionary...a reference guide...family trees.

Tolkien showed me at a very young age that there are absolutely no limits to one's imagination if you are willing to let it go.

LOTR is to film, what Wagner's Ring series was to opera ...

Except no one wants to watch an 18 hour opera -- I tried once, made it through about 14 hours. Even music enthusiasts have a tough time.

But still, the volume and artistry of the work has never been equaled.

I guess I should have said the books and the world of Middle-Earth that Tolkien created was the greatest work of art ever. The film did the trilogy justice and that rarely happens.

All and all, from the books to the films, I can't see it getting any better ... except as I mentioned, a Bills Super Bowl.  :w00t:

218712[/snapback]

I hear what you are saying :D From a visual standpoint the movies are stunning. From a narrative standpoint they are weak in contrast to the books (and I am not a huge Fantasy Genre fan, to be fair). While it is unfair to expect a movie to match the book, the weakness in the narrative found in all three movies drags them out of contention for the best film(s) of all time.

But they are certainly entertaining and well done. It's a minor point, but I'm a stickler I guess. lol. :P

They're pretty good books, too. :P

218708[/snapback]

I find it amazing that over 30 years ago I read the books and loved them and over the past couple of years my 12 year old son has done the same. My reading tastes have evolved over the years, but for flat out ass- kicking fantasy... you can't beat those books.

To me, the collective LOTR trilogy is the best movie I've ever seen. After three years, I was sincerely bummed that there wouldn't be another at the theaters this past holiday season. I have the regular and extended gift versions of all three movies - and I plan to watch the extendeds all in succession when I have a few days off. (Last fall I watched the extended versions of the first two the day before I went to see The Return of the King.) It's funny - I thought that each movie was better than the one preceding it, yet they are all equally my favorite. That cliche about the whole being greater than the sum of its part seems to fit here.

I had read the Hobbit back in college, but never read much of the LOTR books. My goal is to read them this year.

Well, I just watched the LOTR Trilogy over the past three days. There is much I forgot going a year in between each masterpiece. To call LOTR the greatest movie of all time does it no justice. I don't think you can ever consider it a movie. It transends that level into one that has never been reached. It is an epic that I don't think will ever be bettered. Peter Jackson did a tremendous job turn what I consider the greatest piece of literature into a film.

For those of you who never saw the epic or those who thought, ewww, that looks corny, give it a chance, you won't regret it. It will be the greatest thing you'll ever watch -- at least until the Bills win a Super Bowl.

The characters, the music, the battles, the struggles of good and evil, and so much more. I get shivers watching this movie, you feel as though you are in it.

218703[/snapback]

Absolute visual mastery. Its an all time classic that will be talked about for years. It may even become an annual must show like Wizard of Oz. I seriously put it at that level.

Absolute visual mastery. Its an all time classic that will be talked about for years. It may even become an annual must show like Wizard of Oz. I seriously put it at that level.

218760[/snapback]

I'm psyched that it moved all you guys to that extent. I mean, hey, if it has that much of an effect on you then by all means worship it.

I just think the weak characters and narrative prevents it from being anything more than a "visual" masterpiece...which it is. But in 20 years it won't be remembered as a top 25 film (individually or as a whole) in my opinion.

It's phenomenal at home with a 7.1 receiver and a kick ass Subwofer all in DTS!  Simply PHENOMENAL!

218778[/snapback]

(Envy ON)

I only have 5.1 cranked from a Harman Kardon AVR 310.

A friend has a 13,000 square foot house and a HDTV projector to a 12' screen. He had fellowship playing last time I was there. It was AWESOME!

I thought the BBC cartoon version was much better.

218831[/snapback]

I prefer the Rankin-Bass version, myself.

"Where there's a whip<crack>...there's a way!"

"Frodo of the nine fingers....and the ring of dooooom."

:P

Had friends over to watch extended version of ROTK. Nice to watch on the 55" TV. :w00t: