Bill Polian: Bills need new stadium with roof north in Buffalo/Niagara

The league is headquartered in NYC, so he probably has *some* influence...

Not that I think they would go as far as antitrust, but I do bet NYS politicians will fight like heck to keep it's one New York State based team!

You mean he will tell the sanitation department not to pickup the garbage in the League's building?

Sure, they may fight like heck, but in the end, if the Bills were to leave in 2020 (when, by the way, Cuomo won't be Governor anymore, all the politicians will say "Damn, we fought hard...".

Are you suggesting that Andrew Cuomo (son of former New York Governor Mario Cuomo) has no influence in Washington? The same Andrew Cuomo who, with no experience other then having been an assistant district attorney in NYC, was appointed as assistant secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (1993-97) and then as secretary of HUD (1997-2001) under President Bill Clinton. Really? You think Cuomo has no pull?

False dichotomy. You think that Schumer couldn't make life miserable for some of the owners? What is a few committee hearings investigating drug use (both legal and illegal) in the NFL. The NFL would love that kind of attention. I am sure they could find a few disgruntled former players to testify. Maybe a few IRS audits are in order, you know, with the NFL's not for profit status and all. Oh yea, those convicted felons that play in Canada or London might have to fill out some extra paperwork before getting let back in. Don't worry it will only take a couple of weeks. Schumer doesn't have to give the NFL cement shoes and drop them in the East river when breaking a few knee caps will get the desired results.

Yes, that Cuomo. The same one who is about to lose the endorsement of "The Working Families Party".

The NFL was just served with a lawsuit by former players regarding drug dispensing. There is nothing a Congressional hearing will do to bring more attention to the issue. The American public is well aware at this point that Congressional hearing are only about grandstanding. As soon as they are over, everyone yawns and moves on. The NFL likely wouldn't be bothered by such a hearing (and they likely wouldn't be called before the legal suit proceeds--obviously no one would testify in Congress before testifying in court. None of this would deeply injure the NFL. They have weathered far worse with the concussion stuff--which was concluded with a settlement with the players---and not a peep from Congress.

Although this administration loves to use the IRS for political ends, since the NFL has a tax free status, there would be nothing for the IRS to audit in the league offices. Not sure what you man with that one....

Again, why would Congress go along with your imagined crusade by Schumer if it is all just to keep the Bills in Buffalo. I'm still waiting for anyone to answer this question. It makes no sense for anyone outside of NYS to go after the wildly popular NFL, just to benefit people from WNY.

This makes absolutely no sense.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, people in WNY watch the Bills. It's my understanding that "TV ratings" are usually defined (roughly) as the PERCENTAGE of televisions in a given area (be it national or local) that are tuned to a particular program. The link you posted listed the Bills' 2013 TV rating as being over 30. I'm pretty sure that 30% of the TVs in the USA were not tuned in to Bills games last year.

Point being, that a 30 rating in WNY probably involves less eyeballs than a 15 rating in a broadcast TV market that has more than twice the population.

The TV revenue stream received by the NFL is roughly based on the advertising revenues that the TV broadcasters expect to receive. Do you think advertisers pay for air time based on (1) the total number of eyeballs that will see their ads, or (2) the percentage of local eyeballs that will see their ads, even if the total number of people living in a broadcast area is relatively small?

To your point, without doing more digging, I wouldn't know how the NFL perceives it's ratings as that wasn't released. Games are sometimes only televised in a local market. Sometimes they are televised nationally. Then you have the NFL Sunday Ticket which means they are available just about everywhere except local market. .

If I had to guess, I would assume this rating takes all of that into account and says "where this game is available to watch, this % of people watched it" or something like that. Just look at the coverage maps for Week 17 last year. Buffalo/NE was televised pretty much the entire east coast and as far west as Indiana. So, it would be a lot more than just local eyes in WNY watching that game.

http://fansided.com/...week-17/#!TAKmw

Anyways, I was just trying to help out the poster who couldn't remember the figure he quoted.

EDIT: If we go by the numbers listed in TaskersGhost and it's just local TV market, the higher percentage only helps. If I do the percentages against what is considered local(Toronoto is not unfortunatley) the Bills had more eyes watching in WNY than Arizona, Tampa Bay, Miami, Jacksonville and St. Louis all of which have much higher viewing populations. Not to mention they beat everyone who was below, except New Orleans. All of this on the end of a 6-10 record and not including a hugh metro area like Toronto. It moves them much higher on the list.

Edited by Wayne Cubed