Belichick ='s Lombardi

IndyMark

Are we really witnessing a generational and historic NFL coaching legend in Belichick? Though I wish it were someone affilitated with the Bills, as much as anyone despises the Pats and BB, you have to admit he is among the best ever. That is hard to type, but it is what it is.

When someone in this day and age ties Vince Lombardi's coaching playoff record you cannot deny the significance of that - stats do not lie.

After perusing some of the "Pats haters" on this board, I am slightly stunned at their profuse denial. Belichick and Brady are some of the best NFLers....ever.....ever. We are talking Lombardi and Montana.

Anyway, as I have posted before while I am no Pats fan, sometimes you gotta appreciate the "other side" and man-up to the facts.

I agree. I hate Tom Brady but I started admitting long ago that he is a great QB. But clearly, the most important person for the Pats is Belicheck. Brady looks like the best QB in the NFL because he never has to play against Belicheck's D. Isn't it funny (in a sad way) that every team questions their QB after playing the Pats? I mean I know Belicheck owns Bledsoe and Manning, but which QB does he NOT own?

I agree that you have to give the Pats their due, but the worship is reaching an absurd level this morning.

Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time? Uh, yeah, ok. Someone please explain how his career at this point is materially different from Troy Aikman's? Didn't Troy win 8 straight playoff games? Turn a doormat into a champion? 3 SBs in 4 years? Why isn't Troy better than Montana, Unitas, Starr, Graham, Bradshaw, Staubach, Elway, etc.? Let’s check back on Brady at the end of the decade before we start figuring his place in history.

I agree.  I hate Tom Brady but I started admitting long ago that he is a great QB.  But clearly, the most important person for the Pats is Belicheck.  Brady looks like the best QB in the NFL because he never has to play against Belicheck's D.  Isn't it funny (in a sad way) that every team questions their QB after playing the Pats?  I mean I know Belicheck owns Bledsoe and Manning, but which QB does he NOT own?

216652[/snapback]

He owned Beldsoe at one time and dumped him, further advancing his genius status. ( I couldn't resist ! ) . :D

I agree that you have to give the Pats their due, but the worship is reaching an absurd level this morning.

Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time?  Uh, yeah, ok.  Someone please explain how his career at this point is materially different from Troy Aikman's?  Didn't Troy win 8 straight playoff games?  Turn a doormat into a champion?  3 SBs in 4 years?  Why isn't Troy better than Montana, Unitas, Starr, Graham, Bradshaw, Staubach, Elway, etc.?  Let’s check back on Brady at the end of the decade before we start figuring his place in history.

216666[/snapback]

It is all timing. Aikmen should be, and in some circles, is given that recognition. But his success was a few years ago - I am sure during his peak his name was mentioned in the same sentence as Montana and Bradshaw. So if his time were now, we would be saying the same thing about him.

The only other reason this board might not have been endorsing him so much because he was beating the Bills in the big game.

Your point is taken, but it is probably a timing thing more than anything.

I think you could make a strong argument for this NFL math equation now:

Belicheck >  Parcells

216669[/snapback]

I completely agree with that statement. Belicheck was with Parcells with the Giants (and it was Belicheck's D that slowed down our offense), he was with him with the Pats in their 1st Super Bowl, he was with him with the Jets and their rebuilding. Now is the first time Parcells has been without Belicheck. It will be interesting to see what he is able to do with the Cowboys on his own.

Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time?  Uh, yeah, ok.  Someone please explain how his career at this point is materially different from Troy Aikman's?  Didn't Troy win 8 straight playoff games?  Turn a doormat into a champion?  3 SBs in 4 years?  Why isn't Troy better than Montana, Unitas, Starr, Graham, Bradshaw, Staubach, Elway, etc.?  Let’s check back on Brady at the end of the decade before we start figuring his place in history.

216666[/snapback]

And if we talk about Belichick, we have to talk about Jimmy Johnson. Of course, we don't cuz we hate him and we saw him fall flat in Miami (cough, cough, 62-points to Jax)

Everything is magnified while it is going on. It is the thing that is magnified years later that is truly great.