Whaley, Byrd, & Ralph's Passing

I'll start by saying I love the Watkins trade. Clearly as already discussed, Whaley and Brandon know how important it is for them to make the playoffs in 2014. For the team, the city, and their own job security. With that said, had Ralph Wilson passed earlier in the year, prior to free agency, do you think Whaley would have upped their offer to ensure Byrd had stayed? It's a little morbid to ponder I know, but seriously, the playoffs look much more attainable with Byrd still on the team. Thoughts?

I don't think it's outrageous that they've been filled with a sense of urgency since Ralph's passing, things might have been different. Brandon's job is on the line too. Job security can be a huge motivator. But, if you disagree care to explain.

It was already explained: Ralph relinquished day to day control of the franchise to Russ Brandon. I doubt Ralph was dictating from his death bed to Russ that Byrd should be lowballed. Perhaps Littman still holds sway over Russ' mindset, but Ralph's passing is unrelated--- in fact, by all accounts, the Bills were willing to pay up and Byrd simply preferred to move on.

Ok, it's not that I think Ralph kept them from making a higher offer, I probably could have been clearer in my OP. What I'm asking is since his passing, circumstances have changed. With a new owner looming, Whaley and Brandon might regret not caving to Byrd. They have more reason to win now to keep their jobs after 2014. This has been attributed by many sports writers as to why they were willing to give up a 2015 first round pick. Having Byrd on their roster would clearly help their chances of having a playoff team in 2014, and this their jobs. When they were dealing with Byrd, they didn't have that to think about.