EJ Manuel and why there is no downside risk to the trade.

There is a very simple rationale of why this trade was made. There is no downside risk to Whaley and Marrone to make this trade. At this point, based on the players we have, this team has one major question mark - QB. The rest of the talent is playoff caliber. Sure you have serviceable players - Chandler, Pears, etc, but no real holes in the starting lineup and we should be a playoff bound team...

...IF EJ MANUEL IS A PLAYOFF CALIBER QB.

Here is the deal. If EJ wins this season, the Bills win, they are in the playoffs. Whaley looks like a superstar. If EJ is not the real deal and the Bills have a losing record and don't make the playoffs, it wouldn't matter if they had the first round pick or not because Whaley and Marrone won't be here to try again. What risk do they have? No playoffs, no job. They bet the farm on Manuel last year and if doesn't pan out, the front office will be turned over.... yet again.

If EJ is not the real deal and the Bills have a losing record and don't make the playoffs, it wouldn't matter if they had the first round pick or not because Whaley and Marrone won't be here to try again. What risk do they have? No playoffs, no job. They bet the farm on Manuel last year and if doesn't pan out, the front office will be turned over.... yet again.

That's exactly right. We'll be lucky if Whaley/Marrone don't continue to trade away future assets in a desperate attempt to win now.

Afterall, a 2016 first-rounder is like a third-round pick according to the logic a lot of people using.

IM willing to bet my house that Whaley and Marrone will be here even if they don't make the playoffs this year. Most of you are horny on this 3 years or get fired concept. Last year the Bills COMPETED very well. I see no reason for Marrone and Whaley to get fired so soon. IMO Watkins was the best player available. So much can and will happen from here to the 2015 draft. GET A GRIP!

There is a very simple rationale of why this trade was made. There is no downside risk to Whaley and Marrone to make this trade. At this point, based on the players we have, this team has one major question mark - QB. The rest of the talent is playoff caliber. Sure you have serviceable players - Chandler, Pears, etc, but no real holes in the starting lineup and we should be a playoff bound team...

...IF EJ MANUEL IS A PLAYOFF CALIBER QB.

Here is the deal. If EJ wins this season, the Bills win, they are in the playoffs. Whaley looks like a superstar. If EJ is not the real deal and the Bills have a losing record and don't make the playoffs, it wouldn't matter if they had the first round pick or not because Whaley and Marrone won't be here to try again. What risk do they have? No playoffs, no job. They bet the farm on Manuel last year and if doesn't pan out, the front office will be turned over.... yet again.

I disagree with that assessment.

It's silly to say there's no downside risk to the trade. Of course there is. Even if new ownership cleans house, I'm guessing Whaley and Marrone would still like jobs in the NFL. If Manuel gets hurt in preseason and the Bills bottom out, Whaley and Marrone are the guys who traded two-time Heisman trophy winner Jameis Winston, franchise savior, for a wideout. Probably won't look good on the resume.

It's silly to say there's no downside risk to the trade. Of course there is. Even if new ownership cleans house, I'm guessing Whaley and Marrone would still like jobs in the NFL. If Manuel gets hurt in preseason and the Bills bottom out, Whaley and Marrone are the guys who traded two-time Heisman trophy winner Jameis Winston, franchise savior, for a wideout. Probably won't look good on the resume.

And, what are the chances of that happening....vs.....the chances of anything other than than happening?

Whaley, with career in mind, is supposed to not do this trade, because there's a, what, 5% chance of EJ getting hurt in the preseason?

That's not how I run my career. I highly doubt it's how anyone other than those who've never progressed beyond "entry level job" have run theirs either.

It's precisely this "there's a 10% chance we could be wrong" mentality, which seems incapable of understanding the contrapositive: "which means there's a 90% chance that something besides us being wrong is true...including being right, this whole thing being irrelevant, aliens invading, etc."...

...that is so bizarre.

This is like the Underpants Gnomes in reverse.

1. Thing we might do

2. Small % chance problems with them

3. .....

4. Catastrophe!