(OT) Phone service....digital

Frez

I know many people who have it and love it.

However...Disadvantages include:

Loss of phone with loss of cable/cable internet (and power)

Only one phone jack per house (this can be alleviated by use of an expandable phone system)

A router must be purchased if you dont have one. This router must have a phone jack on it.

Advantages: Free long distance, and cheaper price.

I use Vonage for my business phones and once they were up and going they worked extremely well. Here are some of the things I love about this service.

1. You can retrieve your voicemails the normal way OR...and this is one of the best parts...you can have them saved as wav files and emailed to you. This works extremely well for my partner and me when, for example, a client calls and leaves us details of a job walk (where, when, what time, his cell number, directions, etc.) and I can just forward that email to my partner and he can forward it to one of his programmers.

2. Everything you want to know about your calls...incoming/outgoing/length of time, etc. are available at your dashboard at the Vonage website. You can set up your call forwarding there as well, or have your phone forwarded to your cell phone and have them both ring at the same time.

3. We use the business unlimited plan: $55/month for calls anywhere, anytime. I've even called Germany a few times, and was never charged for it, for some reason.

Here's the ONE problem we have that may not affect you if you use if for home. Your calls are coming over your broadband connection and is SHARING that connection. We tend to download massive CAD files (zipped, but nonetheless massive) and if you're on the phone while you're downloading a big file, you get static.

They've been great to deal with, and I've already recommended it to a few people. If you're interested in the service, do you mind if I refer you? It takes me a minute online, and if you sign up, I get a credit to my account based on what program you sign for. And a little company like mine loves to save money.

Another downfall I see, i'll have to change my current phone number. I'm not sure I like the idea about losing power and my phone also if the power goes out. Here in upstate NY we have ice storms that last 2-3 weeks.

Another downfall I see, i'll have to change my current phone number. I'm not sure I like the idea about losing power and my phone also if the power goes out. Here in upstate NY we have ice storms that last 2-3 weeks.

214356[/snapback]

I can't attest to losing power because that just never happens here. But they are allowing you to keep your phone number now. It was at least an option when I was getting a phone for our new employee.

I can't attest to losing power because that just never happens here. But they are allowing you to keep your phone number now. It was at least an option when I was getting a phone for our new employee.

214357[/snapback]

Can't keep my currect number in my area. The cost is much much better than what I'm paying right now!

Thinking about trying the new digital phone service that is out now. I found this compnay and it's much cheaper than Time Warner (sorry cablelady). Just curious if anyone knows anything about them or maybe they have it now.

214336[/snapback]

Oh, come on. Go with us. I LOVE my digital phone. If you have RoadRunner your rate would only be $39.95.........and we'll port your phone number. :blink:

Thinking about trying the new digital phone service that is out now. I found this compnay and it's much cheaper than Time Warner (sorry cablelady). Just curious if anyone knows anything about them or maybe they have it now.

Thanks

Vonage Digital Phone

214336[/snapback]

Just a quick note, if you own a Sony brand Tivo (or possibly any other brand) it's best you don't use a digital phone line. As I know first hand that Sony brand Tivo's are made only to use an analog phone lines, if try to use digital line with one you'll end up having to pay for a repair because digital phone lines can fry your (Sony brand) Tivo's modem.