ERFAs Signed...

Tender offers today to their three Exclusive Rights Free Agents help with depth.

FB Frank Summers (5'9", 248) is starter material, but the Bills opted for other offensive schemes. When you have Spiller and Jackson, you may think Summers is vestigial. But the man is really cut. I think they'll bring in a UDFA to compete with Summers for the job, so not Prosch or Copeland, who might go in RD7. My guesses are Trey Millard from Oklahoma, Ryan Hewitt of Stanford, or Michael LaGrone of Idaho. All three can catch the football, which they had Summers do for a touchdown this year.

WR Chris Hogan (7-11, always open) seems to get separation at times, but doesn't have the speed to do it consistently. He can catch the ball pretty well when he's covered. Hogan also contributed on Special Teams (10 tackles). The Bills have other taller, untried guys already on the squad, so everyone will be competing for touches to see who sticks around. Hogan was UDFA with the 49ers, and on the Fins and Giants' practice squads, so he's a long shot, but a St. John Fisher favorite.

OL Antoine McLain is a 2012 UDFA signed originally by the Ravens and released by the Raiders, then signed to the 53-man roster by the Bills. He's mountainous (336 lbs) with pretty good feet. He'll play OG, but doesn't mean we wouldn't draft or sign a Guard. There are good ones (Gabe Jackson), Day 3 guys with A+ intelligence (John Urschel), and Day 3 guys you haven't heard of yet (Dozier, Edwards, Burnette).

The Bills signed Brandon Smith in September of last year, and was on the field for two games when we had CB injuries. His size helps him (6-1, 205); but again, we're still looking; Whaley mentioned that CB and DE are important cogs in the defense, even before Safety. Schwartz has drafted a ton of DEs and DTs while with his previous teams. I think he still gets those positions through FA or the Draft.

i really like frank summers. glad he is signed. i will be interested to see if mcclain can truly compete for a starting spot or possibly provide good depth. and while i like hogan, i am really hoping that the bills end up with better than him on the active roster. i also hope that hogan pushes all the WRs to really have to fight for their spot on the team.

Interesting fact:

When Frank Summers got 20+ snaps a game, the Bills were 5-0.

Just saying..

Frank has something to offer the Bills offense. They just need to develop it.

Marrone wants to pound the ground , i am guessing . And this guy can help that effort.

I loved that touchdown by him !

I'd spend a 5th or 6th on a FB like Jay Prosch...6'1" 255, 4.6 40 time and 6% body fat. Summer had one of the worst PFF rating.

Look at my post above.

I don't trust PFF in the slightest. I prefer the eye ball test. Summers is still raw, but he brings a good skill set to the table.

Look at my post above.

I don't trust PFF in the slightest. I prefer the eye ball test. Summers is still raw, but he brings a good skill set to the table.

16-0 with Prosch